twenty-four

Peacefully Alycia lays on the couch asleep

Peacefully Alycia lays on the couch asleep. She actually fell asleep on me and I managed to get us to the couch before hand. A small smile spreads to my lips looking at her before I look around the living room for a blanket. Within a second or two my eyes land on a fuzzy black one. I nod and walk to the chair and grab the blanket off of the back. I go back over to Alycia and drape the blanket over top of her body. After I do I look back at the woman's face and tilt my head. Her eye was black and her lip was still busted. Sadness took over me looking at her. How could someone do this to her? She's literally like a small bean. I mean I know me and her sort of got off of the wrong foot the first day of school but more and more each day, I learn she's just adorable. I'm sure if I keep spending time with her that I'm going to learn more about her. Maybe know more about just her. Where she grew up. What she likes. What she dislikes. All that good stuff.

A low, quiet sigh escapes my lips as I turn and look at the bookshelf. Quietly I walk over and begin picking up the plenty of books that had fell, beginning to place them back on the bookshelf. I mean I might as well. I don't want to leave without saying goodbye. All though I very much could just write a note and tell her I had to go then explain it at school Monday. No, it's okay. I can wait till she wakes. It's probably best I make sure she's okay anyways before I leave.

I clench my jaw as I pick up the books and begin organizing them. I look at each book, kind of getting a feel of what the woman reads. There's a lot of good reads here but I'm some of this is like huh? I shake my head and continue putting stuff up till I come across a book with a bunch of bookmarks and sticky notes. I gently open the book and let my eyes scan the little notes written all on the margins and on the sticky notes. I read the lines she has put different colored sticky's by, all of them meaning something different. It was confusing but after a while I found myself sinking to the ground, sitting criss-cross applesauce letting my eyes and mind read along with the book.

<<<<>>>>

"Mm... Hey," Alycia's voice rings out as I pick up my head after turning the page. There my eyes lock eyes with Alycia's green ones seeing her sit up a bit on the couch, wrapping the blanket around her. I give her a small smile and look back down at the book seeing I had finished it. Shit.

I close it and gently stand up. "You feeling any better?" I ask, looking at her. She nods her head slowly. Her eyes trailing down to the book in my hands. "Oh, um. Sorry I was just curious at what all the little notes-"

"It's okay. I don't mind," Alycia says gently cutting me off. I nod my head, a small smile lingering on my lips as I go to turn and out the book back on the shelf. "Hey, you can take it home, if you want. Read it again, make your own notes."

"Oh, I wouldn't want to mess up your work," I say looking at her. "I mean the way you annotated it and the things you wrote in the margins I 100% agree. And some of what you wrote I never really thought about it. The notes you put by certain sentences, it was interesting. All of it was interesting..."