Chapter 8 : No Sweeter Regret

Krystal was awake early as she went outside with the carpenters and Mang Ben

Krystal was awake early as she went outside with the carpenters and Mang Ben.  She drank her espresso and walked around unassumingly in her black polo and joggers. She was helping the men with the new sign for their hotel. She excitedly pounded on the nail as she looked at her wooden sign.

"Miss Krystal—- dahan dahan lang po—- baka mahulog kayo. Hindi gawain ng babae yan," Mang Ben exclaimed.

"Try ko lang Mang Ben," she said with glee as she kept hammering the wooden sign with force. The shards dusting around her face as she drew in some more force.

Four years later, Krystal had totally let go of her glamour queen image.  She had chosen a simpler life in Bataan as a hotelier. The last four years, Krystal Tanchingco had been seen as a ghost. JLT stores flopped in the US branch, her first big failure in business and what disappointed her whole clan...

But somehow failing for Krystal became more freeing.  Suddenly the shackles of pressure did not faze her anymore because finally, she had messed it up big time and this time no escape plans were ready for her. 

She spent the next years going back and forth to Bataan, rebuilding the Lotus hotel branch there.

The hotel had been completely revamped.  It took years of losing money and sudden years of luck.  Krystal was dedicated to the hotel. 

Having traveled to Japan she started getting inspired with the ryokan and inns there. Her hotel now felt more homesprung.  She then nourished the farms within and opened up the once secluded beaches for surfing. 

She took out the outdated large hotel rooms that were now transformed into cozy little inn rooms and the glossy Spanish villas were rebuilt as throwbacks to old bungalows in the 1930s. She had also transformed some of the old ranch houses to little bahay kubos that people could hang out in. 

What marked Krystal as a Tanchingco was her business sense. She wanted the hotel to feel like home around the farm.  She knew people traveled to Bataan for the experience and not to have another replica of Manila or another fancy resort.   Soon, people were signing up for memberships.