i'll be right here with you

Lee Haechan knew he had to do something before time would come and he'd regret not ever doing anything

Lee Haechan knew he had to do something before time would come and he'd regret not ever doing anything. He glanced at the flowers your sister had given to you and reached for it, your voice asking you what he was doing. He turned and passed you a small smile. Your health had deteriorated the past few days and buried deep inside Haechan's heart, he wondered if you felt it too.

Or was it a secret? A soft whisper that was erupting inside you that you were dying to say?

If you did, you did not show it. Lee Haechan glanced at the well wrapped flowers that had the company logo on it, a mark of your family's legacy. He took note of it, finally retreating back from the flowers to go towards the bed. He fell into a seat right in front of you, a hand going to take yours before he rubbed it softly.

You noticed his hand, all wrapped up and bloodied and your eyes widened. You grab his hand to inspect before your jaw went slack, your eyes flickering over to his face for a moment then back to his hand. You could make out the soft red from the blood that was pooling from within and you lifted it up to your lips.

"What's wrong with your hand?" you ask and Haechan shook his head as if to say that he did not want to talk about it. "Did you get into a fight?"

With a wall, Haechan wanted to say.

"I played guitar a bit too roughly," Haechan said, and even though you knew that was the stupidest excuse ever, you did not want to push. If Haechan wanted to tell you he would. You had to know one thing.

"Is it because of me?"

He did not hesitate to shake his head, tightening his bandaged hand around your wrist.

"No, not you," he lied. "No, my love. Not you."

You knew it was about you. It was the way he looked away when he said it, the way he laid his cheek against your hand, and it was the way his eyes seemed to water at the thought. Haechan wanted to protect you from the world, from anyone hurting and he would do so even if he had to lie to protect you from your own thoughts.

"You promise?" you asked and he turned back, nodding before standing up to kiss your forehead then his lips trailed down to your lips. He did not linger and you knew full well that you had crowded his ming and you gulped, Haechan scooting closer. "Donghyuck—"

"I promise. I promise with everything I have that I would never hurt myself because of you."

That was not true. He'd hurt himself for you and he knew that. Haechan pushed your hair away from your face, desperately thinking of a way to lighten up the mood. He couldn't be sad.

Not in front of you.

"Tell me about your sister," Haechan said to you and you licked your lips. "Why does she not visit as often?"

"She's been trying to fight for her own freedom," you answered. You loved your sister; you knew exactly what she was trying to do. Sadly, people were born only with one body and twenty-four hours a day. "My dad is trying to marry her off."