| twenty three |

The Next Morning
Sunday

Something moved Sunny's legs, stirring her from her sleep. She lifted her head and looked down to see Severide sitting at the other end of the sofa. He had moved her feet so he could sit at the end of the sofa while he waited for her to wake up.

"Sorry." He smiled sheepishly. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"That's okay." She groaned softly, stretching her arms above her head. "What time is it?"

"Just after nine."

Sunny sat up and looked around, remembering then that they had come back to Severide's apartment last night. They both fell asleep in the couch after watching a movie.

"So breakafast." Severide started. "I don't have much here. But we could go out? There's a really good diner down the block. Has the best waffles."

"That sounds amazing." Sunny smiled at him.

"Then let's get going. I'm starving."

"Wait, wait! I have to get dressed!" She pushed the blankets off of herself and stood up.

"What? No." He swatted a hand in the air. "You look perfectly fine in that."

Sunny looked down at the leggings and hoodie she wore. She was positive she looked terrible, but she knew Severide would never tell her that.  Glancing over at him, she saw that he was in sweatpants and a long sleeve. He was dressed no better than she was, so why not wear what she was in out to breakfast?

"Okay." She agreed, nodding her head.

She was gathering her phone and her wallet when there was a knock at the front door. Severide went to answer it.

"Jay. Erin. What are you guys doing here?"

Sunny looked towards the door to see who Severide was talking to. That's when she saw Detective Lindsay and Detective Halstead.

"Jay has info on the name you sent him yesterday." Lindsay stepped into Severide's apartment, but stopped when she saw Sunny. "Daisy. I didn't expect to find you here."

"I-I, um–," Sunny didn't know what to say. What if the police told Gray that she had been with Severide? She knew her friends would never tell because they didn't like Gray, but the police had no reason to keep information from him.

"She's in the process of leaving Talbot, Erin." Severide spoke up for Sunny. He closed the door to his apartment behind Halstead.

"Good for you." Halstead nodded.

"What did you get on that Drake guy?"

Sunny sat down on the edge of the couch, messing with her nails in her lap while Severide spoke with his guests.

"How did you get that name?" Lindsay asked Severide.

"Sunny gave it to me."

"Who?"

"Ah, Daisy." Severide looked to Sunny.

"Um, it-it's the third man who was there last Friday." Sunny explained to the two detectives. Her voice was low and quiet. "I knew there was a third man. It was that guy. That Ben Drake. He knows the other one we're looking for."

"Ben Drake's father owns the biggest bank in Chicago. Midwestern Alliance. He's in business with Talbot's family." Lindsay spoke.

"That explains why Talbot was withholding his name." Severide muttered.

"Drake's got a history of dealing drugs, but his dad's cleaned up a lot of it." Halstead sighed.

"Just paying people off?" Severide asked. "Or like hurting people?"