| twelve |

Friday

Sunny turned around to get a better look at herself. She wanted to see how the outfit she wore really looked on her. A dark red turtle neck adorned her torso. It was tucked into a pair of black high waisted skinny jeans. Her dirty blonde hair was tied back into a messy bun with a few pieces falling around her face.

"You're such a narcissist."

"Shut up." Sunny muttered. She was Facetiming Severide, waiting for him to finish his shift so they could go out for an early dinner.

"How many times do you have to look at yourself in the mirror?"'

"A lot." Sunny leaned over the counter to double check her makeup. She knew he was just teasing her and she was okay with that. She liked the teasing tone that laced his sweet voice. "I don't know how this looks."

"Well I think you look great. You don't need to keep checking yourself out. I can do that for you."

"Hey, Severide? Can I get you out in the garage for a minute?" Chief Boden asked from somewhere in the background.

"Sure thing, Chief. I'll be right out."

"I hope you're in trouble."

Severide mockingly gasped.

"You take that back."

Sunny laughed softly.

"I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."

"Can't really go anywhere until you're done there." She reminded him as she glanced over to the screen of her phone. The device was propped up against her makeup bag so Severide could see her while she did her makeup.

"Attitude." Severide shook his head and clicked his tongue. He tried to fake disapproval but the grin on his lips was ruining it. "Be right back."

Sunny hummed in response. She left the bathroom for a minute to retrieve the combat boots she'd be wearing. She slipped the boots on and tied them before returning to the bathroom. Sunny picked up the tube of red lipstick she had put on earlier to reapply it. Gray appeared in the mirror behind her. She jumped and spun around to face him, her hand coming up to rest above her heart.

"Gray! You scared me." Her heart was pounding furiously against her palm. Had he heard her talking to Kelly Severide?

"Where are you going?" Gray asked her quietly.

"Out for a little bit. I thought you were suppose to be in Nevada."

"Flight got pushed back. I leave here in about an hour."

"Where've you been all day?" Sunny leaned against the counter, nervously biting her bottom lip. She felt nauseous. 

"Out with some friends." Gray's eyes raked over her outfit once more. "Where were you planning on going dressed like that?"

"I-I thought I told you that I wanted to go to a few art galleries around town. I want to find some sort of inspiration and maybe see if I can find something to draw fo—,"

"There's no need to go dressed like that. You look like a whore."

Sunny's lips parted but she said nothing. She looked down to her outfit. Her heart fell to her stomach and all of the courage that had been bubbling inside fizzled away. She had been excited about her outfit and she felt comfortable in it. But now, she wanted to change into something less formfitting.

"Knock, knock!" Liz sing-songed as she and Kate entered the apartment. "Where are you at, babe?"

"In the bathroom, guys." Sunny answered, her voice soft and hesitant. A few moments later, Kate and Liz appeared behind Gray.