| nine |

Monday

"Has anyone heard from Sunny?" Cruz asked as he walked into the room. "She said she'd be bringing in cookies next time she came."

"That's right." Otis nodded his head. "She said she was going to make chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies."

Casey lifted his head up from the paper he had been reading. There were shakes of heads or soft no's spoken. No one knew where the photographer was. His eyes flickered around the room in search of Severide, but the lieutenant wasn't there. Casey stood to his feet and began to leave when Gabby stopped him.

"Where are you going, babe?" She asked curiously.

"Gotta run something by Severide real quick." He gave her a little smile before leaving the room.

———

Severide was in his office with paperwork scattered everywhere like he had been doing something productive. He held his phone in his hand and seemed focused on something. Casey knocked on the opened door to the office. Severide lifted his head up and put his phone down.

"How's it going?"

"It's slow." Severide sighed out. "Seems like every time I get one thing finished, eight more papers show up. What about you?"

"Just came from the kitchen. No one's seen Sunny today." Casey watched Severide carefully. There was a slight shift in his demeanor. His eyes left Casey and flickered back to his phone.

"I tried texting her yesterday but she never answered. Haven't talked to her since Saturday when I was at the hospital."

"Do you think Talbot could've found her phone?"

"She has me in her phone under my first name so he'll think I'm a chick." Severide grinned a little, remembering when Sunny had told him that when they went out for drinks a little less than a week ago. The grin disappeared and he rubbed his jaw. "I'm worried about her, Matt."

Casey nodded his head softly but didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say.

Severide's phone buzzed on his desk. He picked it up and turned it over.

"It's her." He leaned forward in his chair as he answered the call. "Hey, Sunny."

"Hi, Kelly." Her soft voice made the worries and concerns in his head dissipate.

"You never texted me back Saturday. Where are you at?" Severide tapped the pen in his hand against the edge of his desk.

"I got caught up with something else."

"Is he with you?"

"No, no. He's out for the day. Um, I-I just wanted to tell you that I don't.... I don't think we should be friends anymore."

Severide sat back in his chair.

"Did he find out about us hanging out?"

There was silence on the other end of the phone. Severide looked to Casey, who had been listening in on the conversation. Casey furrowed his brows together just slightly, silently asking if everything was okay. Severide shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. He didn't know.

"Sunny? You still there, sweetheart?"

"Yeah." She whispered and sniffled. "I-I just don't know why I'm calling you. I barely know you, but your voice just.... calms me down."

"Are you okay, Sunny?"

"Today was just.... Today was hard." Her voice cracked.

"Since.... you don't want to talk to me, do you have anyone else to talk to about it? One of your friends, maybe?"