| twenty six |

WARNING: mentions of a domestically abusive relationship, partner abuse, nothing extreme just rough grabbing but it is in here so please, please don't read if it is triggering to you

The Next Day

Wednesday Morning

Sunny poured two cups of coffee.

Anxiety swirled in her stomach as she listened to the water in the bathroom shut off. Gray was done in the shower. She dreaded telling him that she was going to New York for the weekend. She had never done anything like this in the years she had been with him. She had never gone against his word. She had never planned something behind his back like this. Hell, she had never cheated on him with another man.

But here she was traveling to New York to attend her sister's wedding after Gray told her not to, and with Kelly Severide as her plus one!

She reminded herself that Severide was expecting her at the firehouse at ten. If she wasn't there by a quarter after, he was going to come over to check on her.

Gray walked into the kitchen with just his slacks on. He moved to take the coffee Sunny had made for him, his eyes examining her behavior. She was avoiding eye contact and her jaw was clenched together. Her hand shook ever so slightly as she mixed sugar into her coffee.

"What's on your mind?" He leaned against the counter next to her. Her eyes flickered up to meet his through her lashes.

"I-I just...." She wrapped her hands tightly around the mug. "I have something I want to talk to you about."

Gray nodded his head, taking a sip of his coffee.

"I've decided that I-I want.... that I want to go to Arbor's wedding." Her voice was quiet and not nearly as strong as she wanted it to be, but that was okay. The important part was that Gray heard her.

"You do?" He tilted his head to the side. She nodded, biting her bottom lip. "Even after we already had a discussion about it and agreed it would be best to stay here–,"

"We didn't talk about it."

Gray took a slow breath in through his nose.

"Look at me when you speak to me, Sunny."

She lifted her head. Her brown eyes met his blue ones.

"What has gotten into you in the last few weeks?"

"I-I just- Gray, I want to see them. To see my family." She murmured.

"They don't want us together, Sunny!"

She closed her eyes and turned her head away from him.

"Why can't you see that? They don't want you to be happy!"

"But I still.... I have to go. It's Arbor's wedding. I-I've already missed so much. I missed Anastasia's graduation and birthday this year and Harper being born."

"Who the hell is Harper?"

"Gen's daughter. My niece, Gray."

He shook his head, slamming his coffee down on to the counter and pacing away from her.

"They haven't supported us, Sunny. None of them have! What part of that don't you understand?"

"I'm sorry, Gray. They are still my family."

"What about my family?" He threw his hands into the air. "Mom and dad were expecting us at the cabin in Michigan this weekend!"

"I-I'm sorry." Sunny didn't know what else to tell him. "Just.... Just tell them the truth. I'm at a wedding and you–,"