| twenty five |

Sunny made her way through 51, greeting familiar faces and smiling to those she only vaguely knew.

Severide was in the garage with a handful of others. He sat with his feet propped up on a table and a clipboard in hand.

"Hey, Sunny!" Herrmann was the first to greet her.

Sunny waved to the first responders, but her gaze eventually fell on Kelly Severide. He had the end of a blue pen between his teeth as he watched her.

"Thought you weren't working today." Otis came up beside her. "You didn't bring us anything, did you?"

"She probably came to see Severide." Mouch rolled his eyes teasingly from behind Sunny.

"I'm, um, I'm going to bring cheesecake later on in the week, Otis." Sunny didn't respond to Mouch. She didn't know what to say to him. "I actually left a piece of my report here and I need it for something I'm working on."

"Where did you leave it at?" Brett hopped down from the back of an ambulance.

"Um, you know.... I can't remember who I was, um, interviewing last." Sunny smiled innocently. "It was either Herrmann or Cruz, but I can't remember where I was with it."

"What does it look like?" Cruz asked.

"It's a thumb drive. It has copies of everything on it."

"We can help you look for it." Otis suggested. "If we all search the house, we're bound to find it."

"Oh, Otis, thank you." Sunny smiled at him.

As everyone began to leave the garage, Severide stood to his feet.

"What kind of trouble are you up to today?" He looked down at her, a grin tugging at his lips.

"Trouble?"

"I can see it in your eyes."

"I just wanted a couple of minutes with you and you weren't answering your phone." She cupped his face and leaned up on her tip toes to kiss him.

He chuckled against her lips, his hands finding her waist.

"So you don't need help finding the drive?" He pulled away just slightly.

"It's in your office." She bit her bottom lip.

"Ms. Castle, who knew you were such a trouble maker?" He kissed her once more before she slipped out of his hold and turned to leave the garage. Severide followed her without question.

"I just can't wait for this weekend. I need a break from Chicago. And from Gray's sister." She sighed. Melanie was out in her car waiting for Sunny to finish up in the firehouse.

"It'll do you good to see your family."

"And I am very excited for you to meet them–,"

"Sunny! I think I found it!" Cruz shouted from down the hall.

Sunny and Severide shared a glance before laughing softly.

"I'll go check it out. I'll meet you in your office, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan." Severide nodded.

–––

Sunny walked into Severide's office just minutes later and came to an abrupt stop. Melanie Talbot stood in the room with Severide. She was sitting on his desk while he sat in his chair a few feet away.

"Sunny! You never told me you knew Kelly!" Melanie exclaimed, standing to her feet.

"I-I didn't...." Sunny trailed off. She completely forgot that Severide had dated Melanie for an unknown amount of time in the past. "I didn't know that you two knew each other."