| six |

WARNING: mentions of an abusive relationship, signs of an abusive relationship, Severide being a sweet guy because I love him

Sunny straightened out her shirt a little more as she walked into the bar. Her eyes flickered around in search of the firefighter she was meeting. She spotted him standing at the bar talking to the bartender. He was smiling flirtatiously and she was eating it up. Sunny hesitated to go to him. She didn't want to interrupt whatever was going on between him and the bartender.

He happened to look towards the door and see Sunny. He said something to the bartender before pushing away from the bar. His eyes found Sunny and he nodded for her to follow him. He moved through the thin crowd to go to an empty booth towards the back of the bar.

Sunny took a seat across from him, stuffing her bag into the corner of the bench. He placed a beer down in front of her.

"I like that color on you." Severide nodded to the maroon sweater she wore. He noticed something on her cheek. It was a blue smudge of paint or something.

"Oh, thank you." Sunny smiled softly.

"I really don't want to get you into trouble, but I just thought you'd.... that you'd maybe want to talk."

Sunny nodded her head softly and looked down at her beer.

"I want to know what you meant when you said you know what I'm going through." Her voice was so quiet that Severide could barely hear her. He took a swig of his drink and looked out over the bar.

"I dated this girl a long time ago. It was short, maybe lasted six months. She had anger issues and she'd.... she'd throw things and sometimes those things were directed at me. She'd hit me sometimes but I never thought much about it." Severide softly shrugged his broad shoulders. His voice was quiet and not as strong as it usually was. "I didn't realize until afterwards that.... that what she had done wasn't right. Never told anyone about it."

"I really appreciate you telling me that, Kelly." Sunny murmured softly. She reached across the table to put her hand on his arm. His blue eyes met hers and a gentle smile crossed his lips.

"How did you meet him?"

"An art gallery in Boston." Sunny sighed, pulling her hand back into her lap. "The Boston Museum of Art had a new Asian exhibit that year.... Tickets were expensive and hard to get, but one of my sisters managed to get me and her tickets." She smiled at the memory. Absentmindedly, she rubbed her arm. "We got dressed up and went. It's still one of the best nights of my life."

"You like art." Severide stated. He was fascinated with this woman.

"I do." She nodded her head.

"I can tell. You've got what looks like blue paint on your cheek." He rubbed his cheek where it was on Sunny. She put her hand over her cheek and her eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh. Are you serious?"

"Here." Severide reached over and brushed the blue smudge off of her cheek. He noticed the way she watched him carefully. Fear flashed through her eyes for a moment and he could've sworn she flinched when he brought his hand closer to her face. He leaned back in his seat and rubbed his palms together. "I-I'm sorry, Sunny."

"No, it's okay." Her voice was a little shaky as she spoke. "It's okay. I promise."

"So you have a sister?" Severide changed the subject in hopes to get her to calm down. He was worried that she'd want to leave after he made her uncomfortable. He wasn't ready for the night to be over. "Older or younger?"

"I have three sisters. The one who took me to Boston is older."

"What's her name?"

"Arbor." Sunny smiled softly, her nails tapping against her beer bottle.