Chapter 2.

You open your eyes and blink a few times as Daichi's hazy figure comes into focus. It's pitch black in your room, but you can make out his usual position of lying completely flat on his back with the blanket covering the bottom portion of his face. How he could comfortably breathe that way is still beyond you. His arm is wrapped around your waist, snuggling you into his side. You slowly prop yourself up on your elbow, holding the blanket up to your chest to keep you warm when you realize you're not wearing any clothes even though Daichi's wearing his pajama bottoms. You squint at the clock on the nightstand.

2:47 AM

You rub your right eye with the palm of your hand and look back down at Daichi's peacefully sleeping image, a soft smile automatically finding its way to your lips. After your fun with him last night, he had turned on a Black Jackals' volleyball game recorded from earlier in the week that the two of you hadn't had a chance to watch. Normally you would have stayed up, but your day had been an exhausting one after the mess at work and the ticket incident with Daichi, that before you knew it, you were already asleep. Suddenly, your stomach let out a small growl as you realized why you had woken up in the first place. Not only had you been too tired to watch the game with Daichi, but you had also decided dinner just wasn't a priority over your sleep. You vaguely remember Daichi having gone downstairs to finish the stew you had started and bringing a bowl to you, but you had refused to get up. You glanced back onto the nightstand, and sure enough, two empty bowls laid next to the clock. If anything, you had simply saved Daichi a trip to go get seconds as he'd always had a decent appetite. Next to the bowls laid two remote controls. You rolled your eyes as you realized he had been too lazy, yet again, to replace the batteries in the remote that belonged in your room, and had therefore grabbed the remote from the living room to use for the TV up here. This is why you're always misplacing things.

With another growl from your stomach, you quietly slipped out of the warm covers and away from Daichi's body heat. You searched for your phone on the nightstand by your side of the bed but couldn't find it. After figuring it was still downstairs, you began to blindly search in the dark around your bed for any clothes from last night you could quickly put on, hoping Daichi hadn't all of a sudden turned a new leaf and started listening to your constant nagging about not leaving clothes on the ground. Sure enough, you stumbled onto a thin t-shirt, probably Daichi's undershirt, and what felt like his boxers. You pulled both things on, but a chill had you reaching for one of his TMPD sweatshirts that hung on the hooks behind your bedroom door. Intent on returning it to its proper place, you grabbed the living room's remote and stuffed it into the sweatshirt's pocket, making space in your hands to carry down the empty bowls and cup from Daichi's dinner.

You closed the bedroom door behind you before tip toeing down the stairs and into the kitchen. After placing the bowls in the sink, you turned the lights on, surprised with yourself for not having run into anything while you maneuvered your way through the dark. You went to the fridge and took out the stew then grabbed a bowl to place it in. You froze, holding your breath to hear better when you thought a door opened and felt a chilly air current but deemed it as the air conditioner turning on and jostling one of the doors with the pressure change. Daichi slept like a rock, nothing short of a siren could wake him. After placing the bowl of stew in the microwave to warm up, you turned to grab a loaf of bread and cut two slices before popping them in the toaster. Waiting for both things to finish warming up, you sat down on one of the stools at the counter. Your eyes went to a shelf in the corner where you had displayed numerous pictures. Daichi had leaned the picture of you and your parents from your graduation onto a framed picture of four people posed with their arms around each other's shoulders. You smiled as your focus came onto the two people in the middle—you and Daichi on the first day you had met.