Ruby Rose x Immortal!Reader

another old one lol

I wish I could die.

For as long as I can remember, I've gone through trial and error killing myself. I've lived decades, no, centuries, trying to figure out a way to end it all. I've tried being mauled by Grimm, drowning myself, about anything I could think of. I wish I knew what caused me to live such a horrible fate, I don't remember my mother nor my father, and I can't remember my birth name. I've watched all my friends and past lovers die, they have grown old while my face still hasn't changed since when they first met me. I've only made one friend who stayed with me during the while, Ozma.

Ozma was always reincarnated, and he would merge with different bodies, having to share a mind with another individual. We always seem to find each other when he does, and he is the only one who could empathize with my curse. Years ago, in another incarnation, he asked if I would help him open a huntsman school, and I agreed. There was nothing more I wanted to do than to be able to help a friend fulfill his destiny when I couldn't figure out mine. Through multiple identities, I was assigned to be an undercover student to watch over the process of the other students. I'm not sure how old I was before I stopped aging, but Ozma assumes I was seventeen, so he doesn't think I would take on a teacher identity well. He also wants me to respect his new name, Ozpin, for some reason.

I have watched over team STRQ, one of the few teams that I have grown close to. It hurt me when they graduated, and it hurt me even worse when I received the news that Summer Rose passed away. Qrow and Taiyang still keep in touch with me, and I've been on the receiving end of the endless jokes they make about my everlasting youth. Qrow jokes that maybe my curse can only be broken by true love, and as much as I laugh, part of me hopes that's the case.

-

Ozpin called me into his office one day, where he broke the news to me that he had accepted a fifteen-year-old to the academy. I was a bit taken back, but I supposed that if he thought they were ready at such a young age, maybe they were exceptional. He wouldn't tell me who the student was but told me that I would soon find out by myself.

And that's when I met Ruby Rose.

Ozpin sent me to watch over the new first-year students during the initiation, and I was told to make sure students were following the eye contact rule. I have caught a couple of students and immediately reported them to Ozpin and Glynda. I knew that these students had to be good to be accepted into Beacon, but Ruby was something else. I was astonished by the way she lead and fought against  Grimm that even professional huntsmen have trouble fighting. She was truly exceptional.

So I didn't understand why Ozpin wanted me to look after her specifically. "But I don't get it, if you say she's great, why do I have to take care of her? She can handle herself pretty well." Ozpin stirs his signature hot cocoa, "I have plenty of reasons," he smiles sadly, "and you know who her mother is. I wouldn't want the same to happen to her." I rub my tears before they roll down, "I miss her too." It's been a while since I've last hugged him, but now I remember how comfortable it was to do so. 

-

It wasn't difficult to befriend Ruby, all I did was sit next to her and ask about her weapon, and she excitedly told me everything about herself. I was quite surprised by how quickly I warmed up to the girl, within a few days, I was able to talk to her with no problem. She was quite hyperactive, but I found it entertaining. She felt like a breath of fresh air after being stuck in a group of self-entitled teens who wanted nothing more but fame. I know she, like many others, is enticed by the romance of being a huntress, but she seemed genuine with her goals. I don't think in my hundred years of life, have I met a girl as pure and compassionate as Ruby Rose, and I would do anything to protect her from harm's way.

-

Ruby runs over to me, "(Y/N)!" I turn around, and here she comes, running at me at full speed. I brace myself as she tackles me with a bear hug and I find myself astonished by her unnatural strength. "Wow...you're strong." Ruby giggles, "Of course I am! How would I carry such a big girl like Crescent Rose if I wasn't?" Oh right, her weirdly large scythe. I remember when she handed it to me to carry, and I almost dropped it without realizing how heavy it was.

Ruby links her arm with mine, "Come on, I need your help!" I look at her with concern, "What's wrong? Did something happen?" She shakes her head, "No silly, Yang needs help decorating for the dance. And you were the first person I could think of." I sigh internally, this girl always forgets to give me context. "I don't know..."

"Yes? Great!" She grabs on to me and quickly takes us to the ballroom. I grab onto my head as my vision spins around, "Please give me a warning when you decide to do something like that." She giggles, "Sorry."

I look at the stage, "But the ballroom is already decorated?" She smiles and motions for me to turn around. I gasp and see her team holding a large poster with petals around the border, with the words, 'Don't leaf me hanging, won't you grow to the dance with me?' I stare at the poster, a proposal? I smile, a weird first to be asked out to the dance. Ruby smiles sheepishly as she holds up a bouquet of...you guessed it, roses. I chuckle, "What's all this effort for? You could have just asked normally."

She blushes and averts eye contact, "It was Yang's idea." Hm. That explains the puns.

Everyone looks at me, and I'm guessing they're waiting for my answer.

"Alright, just tell me when you'll pick me up."

Ruby smiles, "Okay."

I leave the ballroom, and although I barely made it outside, I still catch Ruby and her team cheering.

- (pov switch)

Ruby nervously walks across the ballroom, she's never been more nervous for anything, including her first meeting with Ozpin. She looks over at Yang, who's looking at her expectantly. Ruby looks over at (Y/N), who's talking to Professor Goodwitch and Professor Ozpin, she never understood how (Y/N) spoke so easily with the teachers. It was as if they've known each other for years. But that's beside the point, she needs to make a move.

She stumbles her way across the room, careful not to trip or bump into anyone along the way. She's still mad at Yang for making her wear the heels in the first place, but Yang insisted, using the excuse that it was a formal occasion. She taps on (Y/N)'s shoulder and the girl smiles. "You look beautiful Ruby." She wasn't sure sure how to compliment Ruby in a platonic way, but deep down, she thought she looked gorgeous.

Ruby tries to control her blush, but she's sure it's noticeable. "Uhm...wanna go dance?" (Y/N) chuckles and points at her feet, "Are you sure you're able to dance in those? I don't want you to be uncomfortable on the dance floor." Ruby sighs, "No..."

"Then why don't we just sit down and talk? I'll have fun either way." Ruby nods, appreciative of how considerate her date is. She holds onto her arm and they step outside and sit on a nearby table. She wishes they could've at least danced to one song, but the silver-eyed girl wasn't sure if her feet would be able to last that long. She glances at (Y/N), whose peeking at the dance inside, and she feels a wave of guilt. "You can go inside and dance if you want, don't let me hold you back."

(Y/N) smiles, "But I'd rather be with you."

  Her heart flutters, "Really?" "Yeah."

Ruby and (Y/N) sit outside for the rest of the night, and for the first time in many years, (Y/N) feels alive again.