Chapter 13 - Return

The firing finally stopped. I only dare move enough to feel if Lily and Brian are okay. Neither of them were injured but they were quivering in fear. I'm pissed.

"Stay." growling, I detached the twins from my shirt and stood up from behind the couch. Knives from the kitchen flew to my side as I stormed towards the now bullet shredded door.

"FURY!" I roared. The agents train their guns on me when I kick what remains of the door off its hinges. "Fury I'm gonna kill you!"

The agents started shooting again but with a wave of my hand the bullets stopped, the metal melting and flowing around me.

They finally stop shooting. A smirker plays across my face as I glare at Fury.

"My turn" throwing out my arm I will the metal around me forming it into large spikes hovering in the air. With a simple twitch of my finger the spikes sail into the air only to come crashing down into the cars impaling into the ground below them. People run for cover as I begin to expand the spikes causing spikes to grow from them, completely demolishing the vehicles.

I spotted Fury retreating with some of his agents. I shouted towards their retreating forms "If you want me Fury. Come and fucken get me!" Stupid I know but I was seeing red. Bullets tore into the ground towards me as a quinjet hovered overhead. Raising my hand I crushed the jets guns and engines, sending it crashing into the ground taking out a large maple tree.

Not the fucking maple tree the twins love that tree.

Their retreat was only temporary but it gave me enough time to make my own retreat. Carrying a shocked Lily bouncing up and down on my back with Brian clutching tightly to my front. I take off into the forest behind the house running like I haven't in a long time.

The constant circling of a quinjet above us sweeping over the forest. Carol had told me in case of an emergency that there was a neighbor a mile north of the house. There was a chance SHIELD was there but I really didn't care if the spandex clad heroes did show the twins needed to be safe and as soon as they were I would disappear again. I would get the chance to face them again. The asset did have my things in his possessions.

Lilly didn't want to let go of my jacket when I tried to pry her still quivering body off me as I whisper reassuring things in her ear until she released me.

A little gray house stood on the clearing. I could see a white haired man sitting on the porch.

I grabbed Lilly quickly brushing her matted hair from her tear stricken face "You two need to listen to me very carefully. I have to leave for a while. I need you two to go to Mr. Davis over there and have him call your mom. Okay?"

Brian sniffled clinging to my pant legs as I tried to carefully pry him off."Maxie don't leave! Please Max, don't leave us! Daddy said he had to go away for a while and he hasn't come back."

A little piece of my cold heart broke for these kids who had been through so much they didn't deserve to be dragged into my shit.

I carefully pulled them off me and gently pushed them towards the house. Brian sniffled bravely, grabbing Lilly's hand and pulling her behind him.

I kept hidden behind the trees watching the twins run to the house and disappear inside. The quinjet flew low overhead as I turned my back on the Andersons. I tried not to care, I couldn't care, people I cared for died.

I'd run for miles keeping to the tree line for cover as I followed the road, Hydra conditioning allowed me to run for miles without tiring but man I am out of shape from the last two years of starving on the street. As the sun started to set I reached a bus station on the edge of town.

I pulled my hood over my head as I walked in and there were a couple people scattered on benches. I sank down into a corner in the blind spot of the one camera in the place letting my aching muscles rest. My hands slipped into my hoodie pocket as my head rested on the cold wall staring up at the moldy ceiling.

Where would I go now? Should I continue to hunt Hydra or go underground for a while? I have heard Mexico is nice this time of year. My only concern was that the Avengers were in possession of my bag which contained very valuable shit.

"Yes Folks it's that time of year again. The annual Stark Industry Fall Party is here again. So that means get out your best tuxes and cocktail dresses because this year CEO Pepper Potts has announced that the party will be hosted at our very own Avengers Tower."

I cracked one eye open and looked over at the tv as the host signed off and went to the news. A smile tugging at my lips under the hood I had a way in. I would retrieve my stuff and disappear until they gave up on me again.

The smile remained on my face even as I boarded the bus and settled into a seat at the back so I could see everyone boarding. Maybe it was time to call up an old friend once I got back to the Big Apple.