A Purpose to Live - Chapter 6

Staring at the four walls of the shed that I have called home for the last two years feels like a prison closing in around me. I can't wrap my head around Rusty. He was my best friend, more a father figure to me then my own father had ever been. It feels like my own world is getting smaller and smaller like there is nowhere left to go. Anywhere I turn there is something waiting for me. Hydra is never going to stop looking for me till they get me back. Sometimes I wonder if I just gave myself up, if maybe I just stop running they will take me back. They can erase my memories and it will all be gone. It all seems so easy, I'll never have to remember any of it. I should have never remembered any of it. That was their plan, but it all went so wrong. New York City was supposed to be my fresh start away from Hydra, away from all their plans and lies. But now Rusty has paid for my mistake with his life. A lonely sob echoed through the walls of the small shed. I'm not one to cry but everyone has a midlife crisis. It just feels like everything I do gets thrown back in my face and someone else pays for it. All of those lost memories of what happened to me in Hydra seem to bounce off the walls around me. The sounds of the M16 firing, the shouts of the trainers and guards, the cracking of the whips, and the screams of the other inmates. I rock back and forth in a tight ball gripping my knees to my chest trying to block out the noise.

I want to scream to get out of me. I want to forget, to forget it all. Another sob wracked my body. The shed felt like a cell. I need to get out. I need to escape. I feel like if I stay here another minute I will be back in Hydra. That these last two years, that my friendship with Rusty was all just a big dream, I would wake up in the chair being shocked as screams echo off the cement walls. I can't remember what my life used to be like before Hydra, maybe I had a family, siblings, parents. But all I know is that Rusty was my family and Hydra took that from me.

My hands clench as my power radiates from them in waves. I will tear Hydra's bases down to the very studs. Snatching the phone from my bag I open the algorithm I had created. It tracks Hydra's online movements, hacking emails, and decrypting files. It takes some time to go through everything, by time I mean a month. The algorithm creates a map pinpointing potential gps locations of bases. There are three in New York and the surrounding area. I can feel my heart turn to stone, my mind focus, I have a purpose.