A Bright Future - Chapter 10

Fuck. My. Life! Is this hell? Everything is way too bright.

"Hey mister, my mom says you should come eat." What?! I rolled my head to the side and a pair of huge brown eyes stood just a little too close to my face. What?

I groan rolling away from the eyes. Just want some goddamn sleep.

A small hand shakes my shoulder "Mister if you don't get up we will be forced to take extreme measures."

I am too tired to decipher whatever the small voice meant by extreme measures.

Cold! I wake up fast as freezing liquid is suddenly dumped over my head. Sitting up fast I roar "WHAT THE FU...FORK" I choke the last few letters when my gaze rests on the owner of the large brown eyes. No swearing at kids, I have some manners.

Two kids huddle in the corner watching me grumble as I pull myself off the couch I somehow ended up on. Everything hurts. And where the hell am I?

"Well look who's finally awake." A beautiful brown haired woman walks through the door, her arms full of blankets.

I nod trying to stand up to help her but my ankle gives way under me forcing me to catch myself on the edge off the couch.

The mystery lady appeared at my side like some angel from heaven "Sir you really need to sit down. We found you in the woods, you were freezing wet and your ankle is badly broken. Can you tell us your name, or is there someone you would like me to call?"

I groan falling back onto the couch shaking the last of the water out of my hair "Your kids over there gave me a very rude awakening. They apparently took extreme measures." The two children ran away giggling mischievously, the women glared playfully after them.

The woman turned her attention back to me, setting her arm load of blankets down on the couch. "Those two trouble makers were supposed to tell you dinner was ready. I'm Carol Anderson and those two are my children Brian and Lily. They are far more mischievous than they look so whatever you do don't underestimate them."

I smile with as much sweetness as I can muster "I'm Max. I'm sorry to intrude I'll be out of your hair in a minute."

Carol scoffed lightly waving off my apology "Nonsense, there was no way I was going to leave you in the middle of the woods to freeze. Now hurry and wash up, dinner is getting colder by the minute."

She quickly glided out of the room leaving behind a warm sense of love. Oh if she only knew the trouble I am in she would be far less gracious.

The four of us arranged around the small wooden table as Carol passed around classic mac and cheese with cauliflower and broccoli on the side. The Anderson home provided the look of an old fashion home. The walls are covered in patterned wall paper and framed painting complete with a bustling fireplace. We ate in silence only broken by the sounds of chewing.

"So Max..." my attention snaps up to Carol's smiling face as I mindlessly push my broccoli around. "How did you end up in the woods?"

Taking a small sip of water I set down my fork "I was camping slipped and fell into the river." She nods thoughtfully returning to her plate. I think she bought it.

Lillly and Brian let out small gasps that look as if they are about to explode.

Curiously raise an eyebrow at the two of them "What?"

Brian is the first to break "If you could be any superhero what would your power be and what would your superhero name be?"

I have to chuckle softly at the small child's outburst.

Carol gently scolded the young boy "Brian, don't push the poor man with your questions."

I laugh a little as Brian curls in his chair shyly. "That's okay Mrs. Anderson I am happy to tell Brian anything he might want to know." Turning to the wide eyed child the small boy opens his mouth to say something "If I was a superhero I would want to be Mercury." I grin like a sugar high child as the two stare at me.

Lily starts first "Why Mercury Mr. Max?"

Awe isn't she the cutest thing I have ever met. "Well Lily. I'd be Mercury because power over metal is the coolest power ever. And just Max, the mister makes me sound like some old professor."

Carol cracked a smile beside me "If you insist on Max then I insist that you drop Mrs. Anderson and ma'am and just call me Carol."

I can't help the warm smile that spreads across my face. I really don't deserve their kindness but this is the happiness I have felt since Rusty's death.