Chapter 17 - Blood In The Water

Bursting through the exit I ran down the dark streets of New York City my backpack clutched tightly against my back. Rain fell in buckets from the sky soaking through the thin material of the suit. And this is why I can't have nice things. The streets were dark and abandoned. The only light came from the flicking lamp as a masked figure stepped into the empty street before me. His face hidden under his hood obscured in the shadows.

The large red octopus embroidered into his coat froze me in my core. The cruel skull face and six curling tentacles that plagued my nightmares. They fucking found me! Hydra found me! They had sent an asset someone poor soul how had been tortured beyond reconition, erased over and over again until there was nothing left. That person was me, just an empty shell holding onto what is a soul. It brought comfort that they had sent an asset, I had gone too far killing many of Hydra. They weren't here to take me back to reprogram, Hydra would have sent a squad. Sending an asset was an execution, only one of us was walking out of here tonight.

"Max! We are at the shop, where are you?" Leo's voice crackled through the coms. I could barely hear his voice over the pounding of my heart.

I didn't take my eyes off the asset, activating the coms "They found me Leo so I might not be making it back for that celebratory drink"

"Where are you?!" Leo yelled desperately into my ear "Max tell me where you are we can help"

"Not this time." Pulling the com out of my ear I crushed the device under my heel. Suddenly my breath turned to fog as the temperature dropped around me and the rain turning to snow covering the ground in a white blanket. Raising my hand I took control of the metal around me liquefying as it twisted in the air ready for my command. Come on then!

The Asset attacked fast with a flick of a wrist a dozen daggers of ice soared threw the air towards me. Quickly dodging the flying popsicles I manipulated the metal into tentacles throwing them at the Asset.

Some of the metal pooled in my hand shifting into a knife. My body moved from a forgotten muscle memory. I could only remember a haze of what happened in Hydra but the training was still there. The asset attacked shards of ice and metal clashing together in a blur.

I staggered bleeding from multiple cuts , the knife now dripping red with fresh blood. The Assets mask had broken off from a heavy hit, his hood falling from his head revealing snow white hair and empty chocolate eyes. And for a second we just stood there staring at each other panting from exhaustion. His face tugged as the haze of memories.

"Come on!" growling I lunged at him blocking the punch before head butting him hard in the face. He recovered quickly conjuring an icicle in his hand.

Rapidly approaching footsteps shifted the Asset focus for a split second giving me the opportunity to land a hard kick into his chest.

"Max!" my head whipped towards the sound of Tiffany's voice as a sharp pain shot through my chest. The Asset drove the ice dagger deeper as Tiffany screamed. He turned his sight on Tiff when I wrapped the liquid metal around him, sending him flying back. Thick blood pooled in my hand mixing with the rain as the ice dagger melted turning the ground red. Stumbling in a daze, I grabbed onto the side of the building to support my legs giving out as I slid down the rough brick. Is this what dying feelings like cause it sucks.

"Oh my god Max! You're a fucking idiot!" Tiffany screamed falling to the ground beside me ripping off her jacket trying to use it to stop the bleeding.

"Tiff.." It hurts to speak. I couldn't manage more than a whisper. I could feel the blood flowing out from between my fingers "Tiff stop..."

Tiffany desperately took my free hand in her own as she tapped on her ear piece "Leo, I found him it's bad. Now you listen to me Maximus Carter you are not dying on me!"

"Go Tiff." I coughed blood filling my mouth with a metallic taste "He might come back, you need to go, please!"

Black spots began to fill my vision as my eyes grew heavier. I could hear Tiffany yelling for me to stay awake but I was just so tired. 

*Don't forget to drop a comment*