Bloody Encounter - Chapter 5

The computer beeps dragging me out of my mid day nap. Jumping out of the chair I ran one last scan on the computer. All clean.

"Rusty man, where are you?" I call exiting the office into the dimly lit shop. Double checking my watch, 4:36 pm, that was some nap.

"Over here Max." I make my way towards Rusty's voice. Rusty suddenly cried out in pain followed by a loud crash.

"Rusty! Are you okay?" I yell breaking into a run "Rusty! Fuck Rusty!" I fell to my knees beside him. He lay on his back, blood spilling from a knife wound in his chest. Panicking, I press my hands against the wound in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding but there is too much blood running out between my fingers. My eyes scan the room for the person responsible for landing on the man hoovering near watching.

The man meets my desperate gaze with a vile grin. "Hail Hydra" rage boils through me and I see red. With I roared throwing my hand towards him a car flew through the garage crushing the operative.

Rusty weakly grabs my arm bringing my attention back.

"Hey Max a million. I don't think I'm going to be making it to your birthday tomorrow..." he coughs up blood "I just want you to know you were like the son I never had. Don't forget your birthday present. And try not to be a dick or I will come back and haunt your ass."

I chuckle softly at my friend. Tears pool in my eyes threatening to fall. Rusty would be the only person who would ever say something like that when they are dying.

I clutch my best friend's hand tightly. "This is my fault and I promise Rusty whatever happens I will tear them apart. Hydra wont have a fucking head to grow back from." Rusty's grip loosens as he falls back. I stayed there for a minute. I can't think, can't speak. My best friend is dead because of me. His eyes are open staring into nothing, he looks so at peace with his classic smirker. I carefully reach out and close his eyes for the last time paying my respects. Pulling off a cover from a car I lay it over his body. He was the only friend I had in this world now he was gone. A covering for his body is the least I would be able to do for him.

My whole body feels numb. There is a sink in the corner of the shop. I make my way over to it. I swear I will kill every single Hydra agent on this Goddamn planet. Carefully washing Rusty's blood off I watch it run off my hands down the drain. His death is on me, maybe I won't ever be able to live with that but I can make it count for something. Turning off the water I snatch up my backpack. Rusty's gift weighs heavily in it.

Pushing open the side door I step out into the evening sunlight. Pulling my hood up I walk away from the auto shop into the lighted streets of New York City.