Mulligan's Pub

Rather than head out to the family house Lia headed for Mulligan's Pub knowing that's where her parents would be.  Even on a week night other kin were sure to be there but less than if she'd anounced her arrival.  Pulling around into family parking Lia took another breath before getting out.

     Entering through the front the past gave her a good bitch slap.  The smell and sound of stale smoke and beer were what she associated as home.  Living in one of the apartments above the bar it was always there.  Sticking to her uncles and aunts who were always in and out of their place. 

   Realizing she was still standing in the doorway Lia stepped into the light and headed for the bar.  Five years may have passed but the women behind the bar hadnt changed a bit.  Aunt Ryan was pulling pints as Lia hoisted herself up on a stool.

   "What can i get for you tonight hun" Ryan asked before looking up to see who she was. 

    "I think I'm going to need something strong and sturdy" Lia answered truthfully as she waited for the moment.  It came as Ryan turned back with a bottle of jameson and a glass.  Looking up Aunt Ryan froze as her green eyes scanned Lia's face.

    "I'll make it a double" Ryan choked out hand shaking a bit as she pored it out.  Then grabbed another glass for herself.  Waiting Lia only lifted her glass when her Aunt did.

   "Slainte!" Ryan whispered out

    "Slainte!" Lia returned then tossed back the turning liquid.  Before she caught her breath Ryan was rounding the bar.  Turning  Lia jumped down just in time for the arms that pulled her in.

    "Hey Aunt Ryan" she murmered the second she was pulled in tight.  This too was home.  The hugs so tight and warm with love.

    "Welcome home love"Ryan croaked out and Lia could hear the tears she was trying to choke back.  Very little made this women cried. It took a moment but when her aunt pulled back her eyes were happy and clear of the evidence. 

   "Best head up but warning the old mans up there too" Ryan warned refering to the patriarch of the family, grandpa Alister.  "Missed you hun" she then offerred before giving Lia a shove in the direction of the door.

    Not giving herself the chance to second think Lia headed through the door marked Family in gaelic and up the two flights of stairs.  At the top Lia headed down the coridor until she reached her parents door.  There she stopped and knocked.  This wasn't home anymore and just walking in didn't seem smart.  Generally her family was armed so it was just better all around to knock.

   "Hey Mum" was all she could think to say when the door swung open to reveal Neala Mulligan.  Wearing an apron with a pot holder in hand mum seemed to freeze so Lia waited her out.  Reminding herself that they'd believed her dead. 

  "Lia" Mum whispered then Lia found herself crushed in another hug except mum wasn't holding back her tears.  Reaching her arms around Lia rubbed her momma's back and let her cry it out.  Over her sholder Da apeared and their gaze locked but he too gave mum this moment.  "Dinners almost ready" Mum finally murmered.  While she stepped back, one arm anchored around Lia's waist.

   Pulled down the hall her feet soon left the floor as Da lifted her into another hug.  Lia let it be just as with mum but it didn't touch her.  She couldn't let it in if she was going to do what was needed. 

    "Hi Da" she whispered though

    "You didn't tell us you were coming.  Your mother hasn't gotten to redoing your room yet" Da stated putting her down with a slight frown. 

   "That's okay, I purchased a small flatt a couple blocks away." she informed wanting the save the worry and expence but caught a look of displeasure instead.  

   "Sean let me have a turn" a gruff voice barked out saving her from the lecture her father.  But instead of a hug grandda cupped her face and just looked upon her.  Something told her that Alister saw the mask.  Just as she knew he'd not say anything for now.  "So much of your Nana in your lass.  We've missed you child" he murmered kissing her forehead before releasing her.

  "Would it be okay for me to call your brothers hun" Mum asked and all Lia could do was nod as she faught her emotions.  Excusing herself to use the bathroom Lia was determined to return back in control. 

   Watching his daughter disapear down the hall Sean pointed to the sitting room.  Once there Neala went to check on dinner while he sat with his father. 

   "Has Ivo found anything yet?" Sean quietly questions eyes on the hallway.

   "Nothing.  Not even the origional traces we'd found when she origionally went missing.  Your youngest son isn't budging either in what he knows"  Alister answered sipping on his whiskey also passing glances towards the hall.

    Sean had gone on a rampage in the year following his daughter disapearance.  Yet they could only find crumbs.  How had his lass be taken right from under their noses without anyone seeing a thing or ended up dead.  He's never found the answers to that either.  His daughters sudden return would threaten whoever had been invovled.

   "She must be guarded" Alister stated

    "Lia won't allow it.  I don't know the women she'd become but I know that." Neala offered coming to his side.  Taking her hand Sean kissed it before voicing his agreement. 

     "I may have an answer to that.  An old friend that can be" Alister was cut off as they heard Lia coming back.

    "So what have I missed" Lia questioned choosing to sit in the chair father from them rather than the one next to Alister.  So would he if given the choice as it backed towards the door.  It was a chair he'd placed in the sitting room as a test for those who said they were loyal.  Those who were truly loyal trusted them to keep them safe with their back to the door.  His daughter had just shown she didn't feel comfortable or to trust them to keep her safe.