9 | Smile again

Paint is all over my body

Paint is all over my body. I have been spending the whole night in my art room getting all the inspiration out. After the hockey game, I had so much inspiration that I had to get it all out of my head. Maria loves to believe that her cousin is the reason behind it. I don't confirm it because I don't need people to think about it too much.

Brandon might have been the most difficult guy to avoid. And it is not that I am making it easier for myself because I constantly find my way back to him. It feels like whenever I even think about avoiding him, he shows up in front of me.

I don't know if I like it.

"Honey, please tell me that it is paint on your body and not blood?" My dad's face fills my screen. He looks pleased with the fact that I am painting again. Or he is just glad that I finally picked up the phone. "Because if it is blood, I need to find a good alibi for you. I don't want you in prison, honey. You are too pretty for that."

"You wouldn't even ask why I did it?" He looks shocked for a moment. "I don't need to know the details because that means I have to lie more. I also like to believe that you would only kill someone if you had a decent reason."

"That is concerning, dad." He waves his hand in front of the camera, not wanting to ask more questions, with a wide smile. "You ask too many questions. I just need to know if you need an alibi or not?"

"I do not need one. I am painting again." His smile gets bigger, something that I thought wasn't even possible, with the words leaving my mouth. It has been a few weeks with me not wanting to paint. I couldn't even hold a brush without starting to cry because of how much of a failure I am.

Now, I look at the brush in my hand and smile. "You finally found some inspiration? How and when did that happen?"

"Last night after an ice hockey game." His face doesn't change, which is quite odd, one bit. He just looks right at me in the camera. "What has happened to my daughter? You actually became social without being pushed to do so?"

"Maria, my roommate, has a cousin on the ice hockey team. She didn't want to go alone and I said I would come along." Not a total lie because Brandon is her cousin. I just went to the game because I knew it was a good place to ask Brandon for help. My dad just doesn't have to know that. "Is that cousin, in particular, a handsome guy?"

"Dad, please don't." He rolls his eyes at me, something that I learned from him at a young age, that my other dad hates. He only does it when we are together because I don't take it wrong. "I can ask that, Leslie."

"And I guess by the look you are giving me." I didn't realize that my cheeks were a bit hotter than earlier. I don't know what kind of spell Brandon did over me but it sucks. I constantly blush whenever someone mentions his name. "That he is quite a handsome guy."

"Do you have a picture? Preferably together." Now it is my time to roll my eyes at him. "I do not have a picture with him. I just went to his game because his cousin asked me to. Nothing else, dad."