𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐈: 𝐖𝐨𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚

Wolf Moon

Wolf Moon

Waking up, Hazel could hardly open her eyes. She was dead tired, and had no wish to go to school on three hours of sleep. Alas, it wasn't in the nature of schools to care about the wellbeing of their students, so she swung her legs out of bed and marched into the bathroom. Now they'd been touched by her outside clothes, her sheets were in serious need of a wash, and after sleeping in said clothes, so was she.

Until she pulled off her shirt, Hazel couldn't place why she felt so weird. The mirror in front of her brought back memories of the night before. Her torso and arms were almost entirely covered in black and blue, but it felt like they shouldn't be. After all, she was hardly in any pain.

Frowning, she pressed her fingers against a dark spot under her ribs. Nothing. She pressed harder, and it didn't hurt anymore than a normal bruise would. The red which had coloured the bruises before she slept was gone, as was any pain that might suggest a broken collarbone.

Mostly, it was just uncomfortable. She knew she should consider herself lucky to have come out of being tossed around like a ragdoll with so few injuries, but something was off with the situation. When she thought of the pain she had been in the night before, it didn't make sense for her to only be left with bruises.

As she stood in the shower, with burning water pouring over her, she tried to push the worry from her mind. It was all down to luck. Still, it didn't seem right, and when she realised she was scrubbing her skin with ridiculous force to try and feel some pain, she knew it was time to get out of the shower.

Finding the perfect outfit would surely take her mind off everything.

If there was one thing Hazel had never understood about American schools, it was being able to wear whatever you wanted. In Australia, where she'd lived until she was ten, most schools had uniforms and it made life so much easier.

Now, she was staring at her wardrobe and wondering what to wear for the first day back. Her friendship with Lydia Martin may have crashed and burned, but she still remembered the fashion lessons she'd learnt from the other girl, and first days were about looking good. Still, she didn't know if she had any clothes that allowed her to look good and cover up the fact that her body was mottled with bruises.

She didn't have time to figure it out, because a car horn started honking outside her house. It seemed it was a lot later in the morning than she realised.

"HAZEL PEI, ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?" Despite the fact that he was definitely making a fool of himself shouting so loud so early in the morning, Stiles sounded genuinely concerned.

Normally she would stick her head out the window and tell him to shut up, but considering she was just in a towel after her shower that would not be happening. She sent two quick texts, and then threw her phone in her bag and grabbed the first matching jumper and jeans she could.