𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈: 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐕𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐭

Second Chance at First Line

The next day didn't go much better than their call had.

It started with what Scott told them: Derek had been the person in his room last night, and he was trying to stop Scott playing in the game. Before Scott even had the chance to say it, Hazel had guessed that Derek threatened something along the lines of grievous bodily harm or death, because, well, he was Derek. Since Scott had found out he couldn't play, the number of people who were coming to watch him play had piled up, and Hazel could tell he wasn't dealing with it well.

Then there was the second problem, which the boys hadn't found time to tell her yet (though, according to Stiles it was what he had been trying to tell her at lacrosse the previous day). Allison's dad was a hunter. Given Scott still wanted to spend every second with the girl, he clearly didn't seem to think this was as much of a red flag as Hazel thought it was.

And, of course, because Lydia was out to make everything worse, she was Hazel's third problem. It seemed Lydia was in every corridor she walked through, introducing Allison to a new lacrosse player. To Hazel, it was obvious what was going on, but she knew Lydia wouldn't let her get in the way, so she could only hope Scott didn't notice.

To top it all off, all those problems arose before Stiles had his terrible idea.

Hazel was wandering through the corridors, slowly making her way to her locker when Stiles grabbed her arm. She had maths next, so she was almost glad for the distraction, until he pulled her over to the wall by the stairs, where he had already deposited Scott.

"Tell me what they're saying," Stiles pointed up the stairs, "Can you hear them?"

Hazel peered around the stairs to figure out what was going on. Halfway down the corridor, Sheriff Stilinski was standing with another officer and talking to the principal. It looked serious, but then again it probably had to be to make the police come to the school.

Scott turned back to them, "Curfew because of the body."

"Unbelievable," Stiles stepped back in frustration, "My dad's out looking for a rabid animal, while the jerkoff who actually killed the girl is just hangin' out, doing whatever he wants."

"Well, you can't exactly tell your dad the truth about Derek," Scott replied.

"I can do something."

Hazel and Scott exchanged a worried look. "Like what?" she asked gently.

"Find the other half of the body," he began walking away as soon as he said it.

"Are you kidding? Please tell me you're kidding?" Hazel called after him.

◼◽◼◽◼