𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐗: 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐈𝐧𝐬

Pack Mentality

Pack Mentality

When Stiles picked her up that night, she didn't even complain about the time. To be fair, she hadn't even been asleep. Some posters she'd ordered before school started had finally arrived, and she was taping them to her wall when the sound of the jeep's horn filled her ears. After weeks of Scott being a werewolf, she was getting used to her sleep schedule being entirely fucked, and was well on her way to mastering the art of staying awake on coffee alone.

A low hum emitted from the radio, which Stiles had put on the police line to make sure no one else was headed to the school. Otherwise, they drove in silence. Hazel couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't freak Scott out even more.

He had gone against both their wishes and visited Derek. The older werewolf had recommended Scott go back to the school. She highly doubted he had given this advice altruistically, and she wouldn't be surprised if there were police there waiting to arrest the trio. An eye for an eye revenge style, masterminded by Derek.

Empty roads characterised their drive to the school. The building was eerie in the darkness, with the lights around its perimeter casting lengthy shadows around them. Something felt wrong.

They piled out of the car as soon as it stopped, all walking towards the locked fence.

"Hey, no, just me," Scott pulled his friends back, "Someone needs to keep watch."

Hazel nodded easily, ready to head back to the jeep. She didn't mind sitting this one out, because while she might be getting used to the supernatural in her life, she wasn't desperate to walk into a crime scene.

"How come I'm always the guy keeping watch?" Stiles complained, starting to climb the fence.

Scott pulled him away, "Because you're the only one who can drive."

"Okay," Stiles demanded, pointing at Scott, "Why is it starting to feel like you're Batman and I'm Robin? I don't want to be Robin all the time."

"Nobody's Batman and Robin any of the time!" Scott said.

Stiles looked offended, "Not even some of the time?"

"Stiles, just stay here with me," Hazel cut in.

He didn't reply for a moment, letting his frustration subside, and then he nodded. While Scott jumped the fence, Hazel took Stiles' hand and the two of them headed back to the car. She could tell Stiles was upset by what had happened.

Her instinct was to get into the backseat, like she always did, but she wanted to stay closer to Stiles. She sat in the front seat opposite him, waiting for him to say something. She was a useless lookout for Scott, because Stiles was the only thing she was watching. All that she wanted was to cheer him up.