𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕: 𝐖𝐨𝐥𝐟 𝐎𝐮𝐭

Second Chance at First Line

Stiles was trying to tell her something. Hazel just had no idea what, and she didn't think she would be finding out any time soon. She was sitting in the stand, while he was on the lacrosse field trying to mouth something at her. Lip reading was hard enough, but with the distance between them and the barrier of lacrosse headgear, Hazel had no chance of figuring out what he was saying.

Finally, Stiles seemed to realise this. He waved his arm, and it might have meant it wasn't important, but she was fairly sure it meant he would tell her later. Then he turned around and started to focus on the drill again.

Scott was nearing the front of the line, and now that she understood what was going on with him, Hazel was keen to see what a teenage werewolf was capable of. The drill involved making it past a defender and shooting for goal. Unfortunately, said defender was Jackson Whittemore, who had somehow managed to become more of an arsehole than ever since Scott made first line.

If you had asked Hazel, or anyone else for that matter, a week ago if she thought it was possible for Jackson to become even worse, she would have said no. Now? Well, now she had been enlightened about the heights high school bullies could reach.

Jackson wasn't letting anyone get past him. No one had even gotten close enough to take a shot at goal all morning, but Hazel hoped Scott would be the first. Scott started running, gaining speed as he went, but before he could showcase any skills Jackson smashed him into the ground without any sympathy.

Coach didn't show a lot of sympathy either. He started shouting at Scott as soon as he hit the ground, making a show of it for everyone to hear. When Coach reached him, Scott had managed to get to his feet, but he was doubled over and unhappy.

"My grandmother can move faster than that. And she's dead," Coach was getting right up in Scott's face, and even from a distance Hazel could tell he was getting angry at the taunts, "You think you can move faster than the lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?"

He must have thought he could move faster than that, because he ran back to the line and prepared to go again.

"McCall's gonna do it again!" Coach jeered, probably to humiliate Scott more, "McCall's gonna do it again!"

Hazel frowned; Coach wasn't being particularly professional, and she was worried about Scott. He was no longer very good at dealing with anger. Stiles turned to look at her, and she could tell he was worried too.

Scott took off running again, and this time when he reached Jackson he ducked his head and slammed shoulder first into Jackson, sending the team captain flying. Jackson landed on the ground with a thud, his hand going straight to his shoulder. Beside him, Scott fell to his knees.