𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈𝐈: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐬

Second Chance at First Line

Bright and early the next morning, after almost no sleep, Hazel and the boys were once again at the Hale house, this time to watch Derek's arrest. It was once again upon Stiles' wishes, and when he'd shown up at their houses earlier that morning they hadn't been given the option to say no. Scott was leaning against the front of the jeep, and Hazel was sitting on the hood to watch the unfolding events. She had no idea where Stiles had gone.

Most days, she wouldn't think twice about the fact that she was the only person allowed to sit on the jeep. But today, with Lydia's words still playing in her head even though she had promised herself she would never think about them again, it made her feel special. Which was stupid.

Derek was led out of his house in handcuffs. Somehow, he managed to look more murderous than ever before. He glared at Scott, and Hazel didn't need to see his face to know it was guilt ridden, and then he turned his glare on her. In an instant the words he had said to her the other night rushed back into her mind. She still didn't know what they meant, having almost forgotten about them with everything else that was going on, but now they piqued her curiosity again.

What was an alpha?

Why did she have to be responsible for Scott?

There wasn't even the slightest hint of answers to those questions floating around her head, and she didn't think there was anyone who could answer them for her. Or, anyone who would, because if Derek wasn't nice before, he certainly wasn't going to help her after she'd helped get him arrested.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Scott shaking his head. She followed his gaze until her own landed on Stiles, and she understood exactly why he was shaking it. The other boy was striding towards the cop car that now held Derek, and didn't show any signs of stopping. Before he pulled the door open, Stiles turned to the both of them, and they shook their heads and mouthed for him not to. He didn't listen.

As soon as he was in the car, Scott spun and faced the other direction. Hazel decided to follow his lead, spinning around on top of the car and facing the trees.

"We're just pretending we never saw that, right?"

"Yep," Scott said.

Very little time had passed before Hazel heard the sounds of someone being pulled out of a car. Much like the first night they had come into the woods, Hazel didn't see the conversation between Noah and Stiles, she heard it though, and it wasn't pretty.

"There. Stand. What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I'm just trying to help," Stiles said.