𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐈𝐕: 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐕𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐬

The Tell

The Tell

Noises from the kitchen woke Hazel up. Memories of the previous night were already beginning to slip from her mind. DVD store. Stiles. Someone had greeted her when she got home. She had showered, scrubbed her skin until it was red and she couldn't feel the alpha's touches anymore. She had collapsed in bed.

The alpha.

Noises from her kitchen.

Someone was in her house. Memories of the night before flashed through her head faster, her mind still groggy with sleep. DVD store. The alpha. Glowing red eyes. She stumbled out of her bed. Had the alpha come back for her?

She fell out of bed, blanket and all, cringing as her knees made a resounding thud against the floor. For a few tense seconds, she held her breath. No sound of heavy footsteps echoed through the house, and Hazel released the breath.

In her tired state, she didn't think about how she hadn't prepared the outfit waiting for her on her desk. It wasn't even an outfit she would prepare, there was far too much red for her taste. She simply pulled it on and quietly left her room.

She crept towards the stairs, wishing she hadn't given Scott back his lacrosse stick. It wouldn't be much against the alpha, but it might give her the chance to run. Her stairs were a real problem, and she walked down them at a painstaking pace so they didn't creak beneath her.

As she turned the corner of the stairs, the smell of baozi infiltrated her senses. She recognised it instantly, and an unexpected rush of excitement filled her. They were really here to see her.

Maybe she should have expected it, after all the signs were there. She was at the DVD store for them. Moreover, maybe she should have been angry. But there was no happiness quite like seeing the people you thought about in all your lonely moments. It was something she would hate herself for, the next time they left, but she could never stay angry at them.

"Māma, bàba?" Hazel called out excitedly as she hurtled down the stairs.

The two adults were in the kitchen, her father cooking and her mother leaning against the bench making conversation. Both of them turned to her with bright smiles, and happiness overwhelmed her. It had been so long since she had seen them. They looked different and the same all at once.

She jumped into her mother's outstretched arms, pulling the woman tight. For a moment, her world was perfect, and every morning was like this one. She couldn't even think about being angry and withdrawn; her plan from the night before on her mind. She had to do everything she could to make Beacon Hills perfect for them. To make them stay.

Scarlet pressed a kiss against Hazel's head.

"Well, it's my two favourite colours," Martin mused.

She was pretty sure she could hear the happiness leaking into her father's voice, which increased her own happiness. Since she was young, her father had always referred to his wife and daughters as his colours. Hazel thought it was stupidly cheesy, seeing as her parents had purposely named her and Violet to match her mother's name, but she loved it nonetheless.