2

I wake up in a glass cell and blinding fluorescent white lights glaring down at me. My black leather jacket is back over my shoulders, and I'm not cuffed anymore. My head is bandaged, and aching. I groan and put an arm over my eyes.

"Oh good, you're awake. I was starting to think that Clint put you in a coma." I scowl. I could recognize the obnoxious voice of Tony Stark anywhere.

"It's unfortunate that they didn't. I'll assume that the supersoldiers will be the ones interrogating me. Am I correct, stark?" my accent becomes even more pronounced with my frustration. I hear him inhale sharply.

"Yeah- why do you care? And why do you have such a strong accent? I thought you were raised American." I smile humorlessly, revealing almost all of my teeth. Especially my sharpened canines.

"When HYDRA wipes your mind, there is nothing left. No language, no skill, no memories. After they wiped me, they didn't bother teaching me to speak. Didn't need a soldier that could. So I learned to speak on my own. Evidently, it came with a Russian accent." I concentrate for a second, then speak with my American accent. "I can speak without the accent, but it's... it's like walking in heels. I can do it, but it's hard. Does that make sense?" I lift my arm to look at him. He nods.

"And what about the supersoldiers? Why do you care?" I sit up and lean against the glass. A wave of nausea washes over me. And the tingling from my soulmarks.

"One. I think I'm gonna puke, so if I can have a trash can for that, that'd be great. Two. I'm not telling until they're not on the same floor or looking at the cameras." he looks shocked.

"The trashcan we can do. But you're literally in a bulletproof glass cage built for the hulk, in a tower, full of some of the world's most dangerous people. Do you really think you're in a place to be making demands?" I shrug.

"Okay. go ahead and kill me then. I don't care." he looks shocked.

"What the hell is wrong w-"

"Psychosis, depression, borderline personality disorder, ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, insomnia- I can keep listing things if you want, the list goes on for a while." his face turns to pity.

"I'll have them leave, and some meds sent up. I'll be back in a few minutes. Nat and Clint will be up too." he walks away, and I lean forward against my elbows, head between my knees, trying not to puke. I felt waves of anger from my marks. Of course. It made sense that they would be angry, I was right here, and didn't want them to see me. Ten minutes later, Tony walks back in with meds, water, and a trash can. Nat and clint aren't in the room, but I see them outside before the door closes. He hesitates at the door of my cage.

"If I open this, you're not going to immediately try and kill me, are you?" I laugh quietly.

"No, stark. I'm not in any position to kill you, even if I wanted to." he looks slightly comforted by this. He opens the door and walks in. He crouches down about a foot away from me. He pushes the tray and trash can to me, then sits down across from me.

"So. your turn. Spill it. Why are you so desperate not to see them?" I squeeze my eyes shut. Wordlessly, I slip the jacket off my shoulders, revealing the two stars. One blood red, the other red, white, and blue. He inhales sharply. "You're running from them because they're your soulmates? Shouldn't it be the opposite?" I glare at him.

"So what if it is? They deserve better than me. Plus it'll hurt them less when I inevitably die." he reaches out to me, and I flinch, hitting my head on the glass. He carefully takes my hand.

"Soulmates are chosen for each other for a reason, kid. If you were chosen for them, then give them the chance to decide. If you're too selfish to do it for them, do it for yourself. Everyone deserves a second chance. Nat told me about the mind control, you literally didn't have a choice."

"But I broke. I let them break me," I whisper. Tony sighs and shifts over next to me. I tense at the close proximity of another human. Suddenly he wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me into his chest. I squirm, trying to get away before he hurts me.

"Hey hey hey hey, calm down, kid. We're not going to hurt you." I stay tense for a few minutes before relaxing into the hug. It's nice to have someone touch you without it hurting. "How old are you, kid?" I hum, trying to remember.

"I think... I'm 23?"

"You think? What year were you born in?" I shrug. He sighs. "Okay. What's your name then, kid?"

"Hunter."

"Alright then Hunter. Why don't we go see your supersoldier mates?" I stiffen.

"No. They deserve better, and I'm going to die. They shouldn't have to deal with that pain. Plus, I'm worthless. They'll hate me, and I can't handle that." Tony rubs my arm.

"No, they won't. Capsicle and Manchurian candidate are ridiculously accepting. They're like puppies." I giggle at the nicknames.

"Fine then."

"Fine? Fine as in, you'll talk to them?" I roll my eyes.

"Yes, stark. I'll talk to them."