4

Steve pov:

I hand Bucky an ice pack, thinking about her humor, her appearance, her voice. It all complimented itself, and it's beautiful. She is beautiful. Sarcastic, intelligent, graceful, determined, deadly. If she wasn't, she probably wouldn't have survived HYDRA. She hadn't accepted the bond, but she hadn't rejected it, either. I feel bad for kissing her, she clearly wasn't ready for it, and she straight up punched Bucky when he tried. She's clearly broken and forgotten how to trust. I want to help her, I just don't know how to. She won't accept it. But that doesn't mean I won't try.

Bucky pov:

I hold the ice Steve gave me to my face. Damn, did our girl have a mean swing or what? I don't blame her, I did try to kiss her without permission. She's like me when I first left HYDRA. Broken, sad, and unable to trust herself or others. And I put her in this position. By leaving, I made HYDRA choose someone else, and it happened to be her. She's perfect, even broken. Sassy, intelligent, independent, graceful. Her body was muscular, but not the same way mine was. Her serum was subtle, making her lean muscles just as strong as Steve's huge, bulky muscles. But they definitely experimented on her. Just super serum wouldn't make her that strong. Tony took a blood sample, when the results get back, we'll know for sure. And we'll know what they did to her.

Hunter pov:

I'm in the middle of crying myself to sleep, wishing I wasn't such a bitch still the time when Stark barges back into the room. I sigh, taking out my AirPods.

"What the hell, Hunter? You totaled Barnes' face! What was that about? I'm working my ass off to keep them from throwing you straight to the raft, and you pull something like this?" I close my eyes and cry a little harder.

"I never asked you to do that, stark. Just let them lock me up, it's better for them that way," I whisper. His face softens.

"Sorry, kid. What happened? Why'd you punch Barnes?" I shake my head.

"It doesn't matter. They hate me." I hear Tony unlock the door and walk in.

"They don't hate you, kid. They feel bad about whatever they did to provoke you. If they hated you, they wouldn't do that. What happened, kid," he asks, sitting down next to me.

"The captain kissed me, and Barnes got jealous. I already wasn't thrilled that I had been kissed, but the fact that they treated it like they did pissed me off. So when Barnes tried to kiss me, I punched him." stark whistles, clearly impressed with my guts and strength.

"That's valid. No wonder they looked guilty. Sorry for yelling at you, kid." he reaches out his hand, waiting for permission to touch me. I nod slightly, and he wraps his arm around my shoulder. We sit silently for a moment before Tony speaks again.

"I took some of your blood when you were asleep and ran it through some tests," he starts hesitantly. I nod, not having expected anything different from tony stark, or SHIELD. "Didn't find anything we hadn't already known about the first few tests. So just for fun, I ran a DNA test. To see if we knew who your parents were." I look at him in shock. He swallows hard.

"Hunter. Did you know that your mother is the new leader of HYDRA?" I shake my head, not at all surprised. It suited her. She'd do anything for her cause.

"No, I didn't. Though I'm not surprised that she used me as an experiment if that's truly the case." he nods, clearly upset that I'm so casual about the fact that my mother sacrificed me to HYDRA. I decide to change the subject. "my father. Do you know who he is?" again, Tony nods. He's not happy about it though.

"Do you remember when the avengers had a big fight, and Barnes was blamed for the death of T'chaka, the former king of Wakanda?" I nod. "The man who really did it was Baron Helmut Zemo. he pinned it on Barnes, and it caused a lot of in-fighting between the Avengers." my heart sinks as he speaks.

"So both of my parents are criminals?" it made sense. Like parent, like daughter. Tony nods. "I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, then." Tony looks sad.

"You're not a criminal, Hunter. Stop saying you are." I smile bitterly.

"The government has other thoughts on that matter, stark-"

"It doesn't matter. If worse comes to worst, Thor can take you to Asgard. His mom has already offered. And stop calling me Stark, my name's tony." I scoff.

"She hasn't even met me. Plus, do you really think that the government will let me go free?"

"...no, no they won't. But- hold on a sec, kid-" he pulls out his ringing phone. "Hello?"

"Yeah."

"Really? You're serious?"

"Hold on a second, let me ask her-" he puts his hand on the phone and looks at me. "Hey, kid. you can go free, but have to join the avengers. You good with that?" I stare at him incredulously.

"Seriously?"

"Yep. I need an answer in the next thirty seconds th-"

"I'll do it." he smirks and nods. He looks...proud. Like a father.

"She'll do it." After a few seconds, he rolls his eyes and hangs up the phone. He stands up and turns to face me.

"You have a meeting with director Fury next week. But for now, let's get you out of this cell and meet the others." I smile and take his hand.