Chapter 1

Da Capo

By Strawberry Pajamas

Chapter 1

Kyle hated flying.

One would think with how frequently he flew to different countries for performances he would be used to it by now, but he still could never bring himself to enjoy the experience. It didn't matter how nicely furnished the plane's interior was, or even that this particular jet was a private plane shared only by about half a dozen other people. The lurching feeling in his stomach and the stutter in his heart as the plane took off into the sky was a dreaded feeling, alleviated only when they finally touched back down onto land at their destination.

However, this evening, as the Boeing 747 jet touched down onto the landing strip at Heathrow Airport, Kyle didn't feel the usual rush of relief brought on by being on solid ground again. The uncomfortable clench in his stomach refused to budge as he gazed out the small airplane window, the London city lights glimmering against the inky night sky like little jewels.

"Glad it's not raining tonight, eh?"

Kyle didn't bother acknowledging his manager, Reg, sitting across from him in the upholstered leather airplane seat. Reg always wore a button-down shirt and tie wherever he went, even if he technically wasn't on the clock, and tonight was no different.

"It's always raining here," Reg went on, shaking his head and sighing as he pulled out his phone. "Like the bloody wetlands, this city is."

Kyle continued to be silent as Reg busily typed away on his phone. The jet bumped and jolted slightly as they coasted along the landing strip, finally slowing down enough so they could roll up to their gate. Kyle silently let out a breath, going unnoticed by the other man.

"So how d'you like the private jet?" Reg asked, smiling expectantly at Kyle before glancing around the plane's lavish-looking interior. "I told you this was the best way to fly."

"I was fine flying commercial," Kyle said petulantly, finally tearing his eyes away from the window so he could fix his gaze on Reg. "I told you, a private jet wasn't necessary."

"Oh, live a little, lad," Reg grinned and chuckled teasingly, as he often did with his favorite client. "You haven't been home in six years! You deserved a little fanfare for your grand homecoming. Tell me, how do you feel?"

Kyle turned his gaze back to the window, gazing unseeingly out into the world. "Exceptional," he said dryly.

"Oh cheer up. London is excited to see you again," Reg said lightly, leaning back to cross an ankle over his knee. "You'll be giving masterclasses at the Royal Academy this semester... and at only twenty-five years old! Most musicians don't even get a chance like this when they're fifty! The papers are sure to write about you in the coming weeks, I promise you that."

"I doubt they'll be writing much about my musical prowess," Kyle mumbled as the plane finally came to a complete stop in front of the jet bridge. He hadn't meant for Reg to hear him say that, but the man chuckled at his statement all the same.

"I may have to agree with you on that. With Chloe teaching alongside you, I doubt the media will focus on much else," Reg smirked at the younger man. "Have you spoken with her at all lately?"

Kyle shook his head. "Not since last year," he said. Both of them understood him to mean 'not since we broke up'.

"Well, I suppose meeting up with her again is unavoidable," Reg said sympathetically. "Maybe you, me, Chloe, and her manager can all have a little tête-à-tête before classes start up again, just so we can lay everything out on the table?"