Epilogue

Epilogue

~Later that night~

As the sun sank lower in the sky and dusk began to turn into night, the wedding reception commenced with dancing, drinking, and laughter. There were large double doors leading out to a wide patio behind the reception hall, and as it got darker, tiki torches and string lights flickered on and lit up the area, creating a beautiful glowing light. A few dozen guests decided to wander outside on this beautiful summer evening, getting away from the loud music and dancing, so they could drink and chat with each other away from the noise.

Pretty soon, the bride and groom, as well as a few of the bridesmaids, made their way outside onto the patio together, chatting happily with each other as they headed over toward a small unlit fire pit under a wooden gazebo. A few empty chairs and a cushioned loveseat surrounded the fire pit, and string lights hanging above them gave the area a soft, ethereal glow.

Marcus walked over to the nearby wood pile and began to gather up a few pieces of wood. "Does anyone have a lighter?"

"I have some matches," Aiden said, reaching into his tux's front pocket and pulling out a small matchbook.

"Where on earth did you get a matchbook?" Jess asked her husband incredulously, placing a hand on her swollen belly as she lowered herself onto the cushioned loveseat.

"They were giving them away at the front desk here," Aiden said, gesturing toward the reception hall. "I just grabbed one. I figured they might come in handy."

"And so they have," Morgan said amusedly, settling herself down on a nearby Adirondack chair and rearranging her wedding dress so she sat more comfortably. "Jess, is it okay for you to be sitting near a campfire in your condition? I don't want you inhaling too much smoke if it could hurt the baby."

"I think this is actually one of those smokeless fire pits," Kyle pointed out as he and Stephanie sat together on one chair, Stephanie cuddling his lap as he wrapped an arm around her. "You can tell from the cylindrical design."

"Really? That's so cool," Marcus said, impressed. He finished putting the pieces of wood in the fire pit and Aiden struck a match before tossing it inside. After a few moments, a small flickering flame grew from the depths of the woodpile, and sure enough, there was no smoke.

"We should throw in some old newspapers," Morgan suggested as Marcus brushed off his hands and made his way over to her. "Or maybe some sticks from that nearby brush?"

"You are not lifting a finger, my dear bride," Marcus insisted humorously, and the next moment he leaned over and scooped her up into his arms, lifting her out of the chair and holding her (fittingly enough) bridal style. Everyone laughed as Morgan squealed in shock, quickly wrapping her arms around her husband's neck so she wouldn't fall.

"Oh my God, Marcus!" Morgan said, her voice whiny. "Don't do that!"

"Sorry babe," Marcus grinned, not looking sorry at all as he pressed a kiss to her cheek. He then moved to sit down in the Adirondack chair Morgan had previously inhabited, moving her so she sat sideways on his lap and he could essentially hold her in his arms. "There we go," he smiled happily, looking quite pleased with himself.

Everyone laughed again as Morgan rolled her eyes, trying but failing to look annoyed at her new husband. She casually rearranged her skirts again so they would lay flat before once again wrapping her arms back around her husband's neck.

"Marcus has been your husband for a few short hours, and he's already calling the shots, huh?" Stephanie teased her best friend, and the others chuckled.