Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Stephanie, Kyle, and George chatted for the better part of an hour, talking about the shop, classical music, and experiences Kyle had while on tour. Kyle hadn't spoken this long and this casually with people for a long time, and he found it surprisingly fun. He always enjoyed spending time with his uncle, but the fact that Stephanie seemed to be enjoying hanging out with them here pleased him for some reason. He wasn't sure why, but he wanted Stephanie to like his uncle just as much as he did.

Stephanie was currently talking about how long she had been playing violin, and George seemed very interested in her instrument, which was clearly her pride and joy.

"Miss Ryan, do you think I could see your violin?" George now asked, smiling eagerly at the prospect of examining an expertly-crafted musical instrument.

"Of course," Stephanie smiled, moving to open her violin case. "But please, I insist you call me Stephanie."

"Alright, Stephanie. Feel free to call me George."

George Lancaster

Kyle knew his uncle was extremely knowledgeable about violins (he was a luthier, after all) and Stephanie seemed flattered that he took such an avid interest in her instrument

Kyle knew his uncle was extremely knowledgeable about violins (he was a luthier, after all) and Stephanie seemed flattered that he took such an avid interest in her instrument. She gently lifted her violin out of its case and handed it to George, who delicately took it from her.

"Ah, a Holstein," he said, his eyes lighting up as he recognized it. He turned it in his hands as he examined the neck and fingerboard. "Made in the 1800s, I believe?"

"1895," Stephanie confirmed, and Kyle couldn't help but smile slightly hearing the pride in her voice. "My parents bought it for me when I was sixteen. It's my most treasured possession."

"I can very well believe it," George smiled, continuing to examine the instrument. "Expertly crafted... fine maple wood finish... hand-carved bridge..." his eyes roved over the face of the violin before stopping at the tailpiece. He raised his eyebrows. "Four fine tuners?"

Stephanie's face fell, and Kyle felt his stomach drop slightly. He had forgotten she had four fine tuners on her violin, and it seemed that Stephanie had forgotten about them too.

"Oh, um... yeah," she said awkwardly, scratching the back of her neck.

"You've always had these?" he asked, still examining the violin. Stephanie looked visibly uncomfortable, and Kyle felt his heart go out to her.

"I've been meaning to get one of them taken out," she said, almost defensively. "I just... never did."

"I'd be more than happy to take one of them out for you tonight," George offered kindly. "I'm already rehairing your bow, it would be no problem."

"No, that's okay," Stephanie said quickly. "I wouldn't want to trouble you."

"It would be no trouble -" George insisted.