nineteen

hello everyone! oooooooooo we're near the end and you know what that means! grab your tissues everyone!😅

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, fighting
word count: 3941

Luke: "Tasting what could have been—what should have been—didn't make it easier." Kele Moon.

One week later:

"Order up!" the cook shouted as he rang the bell. A young JJ grabbed both the hot plates before swiftly moving out towards the tables.

"Here you go," JJ said as she placed down the plates in front of each person. They both smiled up at her and thanked her before she left. The blonde teenager sighed heavily as she walked into the back. She shut her eyes for a second before crashing into someone. "Shit! Sorry, Rachel."

"Jenny, honey, are you alright?" Rachel asked as she placed a hand on JJ's forehead. The teenager flinched away from her touch. Rachel sucked her teeth as she watched JJ fix her hair in her ponytail. The older woman sighed as she looked over at the cook. "How long has she been at it?"

"Rachel, I'm fine—"

"Since eight o'clock this morning," the cook said and cracked under Rachel's harsh stare. JJ glared at the young man who had his hands up in defense. "Don't hate me blondie. Rachel is scary."

"And I appreciate your honesty, Dylan," Rachel said over her shoulder. She placed her hands on both of JJ's shoulders. "Tell thing one and thing two that we're taking our break now."

"But Rachel I—"

"Break. Now," Rachel said and spun JJ around. The red-headed woman undid JJ's apron before handing it to her. The two walked out of the kitchen and towards an empty booth. Rachel practically forced the teenager down to sit. "Now wait here. I'm bringing us some water."

The young blonde woman sighed as she buried her face into her hands. She was exhausted to say the least. She was currently taking five classes at Georgetown, babysitting on the side to make more money, and working full time at the dinner. This was her second year at Georgetown, she was barely half way with her degree. Needless to say, JJ was feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders at this moment.

"You are going to work yourself to death, my darling," Rachel said as she placed a water in front of JJ. Rachel sighed as she slid into the booth side across from her. "Have you eaten?"

"Mike made me some food when he saw that I hadn't taken a break in a while," JJ said and scratched the back of her neck. She grabbed the water in front of her and practically started chugging it through the straw.

"And I'll do it again," Mike said as he walked up to the two of them. JJ pulled her water away from her mouth and just kept her eyes on the ground. Rachel and Mike both looked at JJ with such sadness in their eyes. "Rachel, go get me a plate from the kitchen. Tell Dylan it's on me."

"You got it," Rachel said and tapped her hand on the table twice. The two older adults switched positions. Mike sighed as he sat across JJ.

"Please do the parenting thing quickly so I can start with my tables again," JJ said and slumped her head forward. Her lips wrapped around the straw as she sadly sipped her water.

"You are sitting here until you've properly rested," Mike said and pointed his finger at JJ. "Rachel is right, Jenny. You work yourself too hard. Hell, I can practically see the stress on your shoulders right now."