seventeen

the fact that there's only 3 chapters left is WILD to me. i've already made up my mind that i will be hanging up my jemily/hotchniss roots for a little bit while we explore new ships😗

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: homophobia, trauma, cheating
word count: 3684

Rossi: "The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury." Marcus Aurelius.

It had been two weeks since Mike's passing and funeral services were held. JJ seemingly stayed in the same curled position for hours on end. She was forced by Emily to take a leave of absence. Mike's death was the first major one she'd experience since she was a child. JJ hated sulking around the house, but she couldn't bring herself to do anything about it.

Will and the boys all continued with their daily lives while JJ's seemed to stop all over again. The blonde woman wasn't answering any calls or texts from anyone that wasn't Rachel. She was even avoiding Emily at this point. Grief seemed to suck the life out of her. She wanted to call Emily and just listen to her voice ramble on about everything and anything, but she couldn't find the energy to.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Shit," JJ whispered as she glanced over and saw Emily calling her. The blonde woman sighed heavily before reaching over and grabbing her phone. She declined the call, but the phone immediately started to ring again. JJ threw her head back as she answered it. "Hello?"

"Come downstairs," Emily said softly. JJ shut her eyes as she placed a hand against her forehead. "Come down, or I'll jump through the window Romeo and Juliet style."

"You're supposed to be at work," JJ mumbled as she looked over at the clock.

"And you're supposed to be thrilled by my presence anytime I'm around," Emily said and smiled widely against the phone. "I brought you something. I know your curiosity will get the best of you, so just come down here."

JJ huffed as she stood up and made her way down to the front door. She opened it and saw Emily standing there with a small smile on her face.

"I came to visit. I--I figured you might be hungry," Emily said and handed JJ a plate of food. The blonde woman furrowed her eyebrows as she saw Emily trying to tread softly over her word choice. "You haven't said anything for the past few days. I just wanted to do a wellness check myself."

JJ smiled softly as she looked down at the plate. "What is it?"

"A poor attempt at some stuffed bell peppers," Emily said and chuckled. JJ laughed for the first time in two weeks. The raven-haired woman's face brightened as she heard it. It was like music to her ears. "Why don't I help you out around here? You can take a wellness bath. I can heat up your food or order you something else? I just want to help."

JJ sighed softly as she reached forward and grabbed Emily's wrist. The raven-haired woman smiled as she was practically dragged into the house. The two of them looked down at the other's lips briefly, but JJ placed her hand on Emily's abdomen.

"I'm showering first," JJ said and formed a tight lip smile. Emily chuckled as she nodded her head. JJ handed Emily the plate before running back upstairs. The raven-haired woman sighed softly. At least she was seeing a little bit of her JJ back.

She glanced around the house, trying to decide what she'd tackle first. It wasn't totally out of order. The only main difference Emily could see is that there was a pillow and blanket out on the couch. This was an indicator that Will and JJ haven't shared a bed in a while.