Chapter 34: You Can't Run

Thunder crackled across the sky, sweeping the atmosphere with electricity

Thunder crackled across the sky, sweeping the atmosphere with electricity. Its veiny, illuminated limbs flashed in the dark, desperately reaching to steal the life from the souls below. Black clouds swirled around in the air, bursting forth with droplets of rain that drenched the ground below.

In the eyes of Kyros, the reflection of the storm played. He was sitting in front of the big window in the living room that displayed the pulchritudinous view of the wilderness and the mountains behind it. 

Thunder and lightning united together in a harmonious dance that refused to cease. His eyes glittered as he watched the dark scene perform for him. Nature was haunting in its ways, yet bewitching all the same. He studied the way the brief flash of lightning traced the outline of the pine trees before disappearing altogether, being sucked into the dark void the starless, stormy sky brings.

His wolf ached beneath his skin to be let out once more. To be free.

He rubbed at his arms, where clawed fingers desperately scratched at his skin in search of freedom. Asheria was asleep, and her wolf was tucked away inside of her in rest.  He glanced back at her still form wrapped in the blankets, and padded over to her until his knees hit the edge of the bed.

Reuben, Kia, and Asheria's other friends and acquaintances had all celebrated with Kyros after the ceremony, and ever since Asheria had drunk the wine Reuben had brought, she had been tired.

His eyebrows furrowed in thought as he looked back at the details. Asheria had become tipsy before, but not like this.

Sighing, he rubbed his eyes and tried to shake any ill thoughts from his mind.

Leaning down, he pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek before turning and leaving the room quietly.

Little did he know that that would be the last time he would see Asheria until fate said otherwise.

* * *

The forest was dark. Eerie. The earth smelled of rain, the ground beneath his furry paws was moist and soggy.

Treed acres of shadowed pastel greens dotted his vision as he trotted along the sandy bed of a flowing, crystal clear creek. His nose was pressed to the ground, twitching and wriggling as his wolf scented the earth below. A vast range of smells wafted through him. Wildlife, fauna, and even Asheria.

But something different as well. Something unfamiliar yet familiar all at once.

His ears perked up, forming into perfect triangles on the top of his head. The muscled legs of his wolf thundered against the ground, pushing him forwards to the source that was emitting the scent.

Deeper and further into the forest he drove himself.

And then he froze.

A dark figure lay encased in the shadows of the blades of grass.