Chapter 24: Meeting the Beast

The jagged contour of his broken hand exposed the white bone and pink muscle lying beneath the surface of his skin

The jagged contour of his broken hand exposed the white bone and pink muscle lying beneath the surface of his skin. His epidermis seemed to split in half, dribbling blood down his shifting limbs and exposing the most internal parts of his body.

Every motion of his body, every breath that left his lips in heavy pants, every beat of his heart seemed to be in slow motion. Trickles of blood fell from his aching, broken arms like raindrops during a violent rainstorm. His elbows were shattered and turned themselves backward forcefully, eliciting a cry of pain to leave his lips.

Asheria stopped touching him when his body started to physically break and change. She knew touching him would only cause him more pain during this part of the shift.

He had locked his wolf away for so long that the shift he was going through seemed to be like his very first one, that all wolves experience as children. He exhibited the symptoms of a typical first shift - nausea and an excessive amount of pain. Though, his shift was a lot more painful than the first one since his wolf had been forcefully locked away, leaving it agitated and in its unnatural state.

The body of Kyros also hadn't been used to routinely shifting. If a wolf does not shift often, their human bodies cannot become used to the physical strain that shifting requires. Changing into their fur form causes a massive change to their bodies each time they do so, and if one does not shift frequently, they can be seriously injured during or after a shift.

Wolves train their bodies to be prepared to shift at any time in the same way athletes continuously train to keep their bodies in shape.

His eyes were aflame from the wolf clawing its way out of the human body it had been trapped in for so long. The shift was a particularly violent and long one. His beast seemed to be impatient and angry for being held back so long.

Broken bones gave way to torn flesh. His skin hung from his frame like tattered ribbons, and the bones of his ribs tore through his raw muscle. He curled up on the floor, panting and moaning in pain. His eyes repeatedly rolled into the back of his head, his consciousness threatening to give up its fight in the name of agony.

He dragged his fingers against the floor below him so hard that he broke some of his fingernails off completely, causing them to bleed profusely. His forehead dug itself into the floor, and he wailed out a choked cry.

Asheria hated witnessing him in such pain, but there was nothing she could do. She felt hopeless beside him and she looked to Kia, who also had a somber expression on her face.

Kyros could hear voices, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. His body was in the midst of change and his normal human senses were dimming as his wolf's emerged.

The remainder of his bones shattered with a gruesome cracking sound, and his muscles and tendons rearranged and realigned into new features. He laid in a puddle of his blood which stained his skin.