Chapter 3: Enough is Enough

Beauty was a menacing thing

It was worshipped like a goddess, a beautiful goddess cloaked in marvelous robes that boasted of her wealth and power. It was pleasing to the eye like a rose, a stunning rose captured and caged by thick, untouchable thorns.

Pursued by so many yet gained by few. Such a wicked game it was to so desperately try to chase down such a temporary thing. Something that would fade. Something that would die. Something that would peel away brought on by the force of time.

But of course, there was nothing inherently wrong with beauty. Beauty, like all things, can become a device. A device for destruction and misuse, a device for pain and manipulation.

It can be abused, it can be beaten, it can be mocked and tainted just like anything on this earth. 

And then it's real purpose is long forgotten on its tear-stained face.

And then it's not so beautiful anymore.

That was the case for Kyro's mate.

She abused what she had, she manipulated it into something she's not. It eroded her once pure heart away and encased the vessel in stone. Stone wrapped in thorns. Thick, prickly thorns which showed no mercy.

And she let it happen.

She let her desire for beauty overtake her. She let her selfishness take overtake her. 

But she was like any other. It was all too easy to point the finger at her and cast dark words upon her when all of humanity was the same.  All of humanity is equipped with innate selfishness. Innate selfishness that can be fed.

But this beast bites the hand that feeds it.

How easy it was to wander down the wrong path blindly for so long when dark desires lead the way. One just has to let it fester and let the infection continue. 

And if one does lets their hatred, their anger, their desire fester, they may not even realize that they've traveled down the wrong path. They may not recognize themselves anymore, they may not even realize who they are when they finally look up from their blood-stained hands and glance in the mirror.

But by then, it is much too late.

For the road in which they traveled is now covered in thorns and horrible creatures brought on by their death.

And there was no going back.

And so obsidian eyes glared back him. Hot as coal and as fiery as a furnace. Her fists were at her side, clenched and turning white from the amount of pressure she used.

"Where were you? You think you can just leave and dwaddle in the forest for hours, leaving me alone like that?" She questioned him harshly as she glared up at him. 

"I was right outside, Candie. It's okay, there's no need to worry." He said in an attempt to calm her down.

But it was no use.