Chapter 6: He Jumped

Kyros loved only two things on this earth

The color gray and the ocean.

The sky was splattered in the color. The clouds above were lavished in darker, various shades of gray and they painted their kingdom like a canvas. They wove together a promise of rain that resembled a heavy blanket in the sky and seemed to stand still, looking down at him to witness his end.

The grass was dull, gray, and dead around him. The rocks which he lay on were dark and jagged and ran down the side of the cliff he stood on, overlooking the ocean. The rocks farther below stood strong against the waves which slowly eroded them away until they cracked and finally broke.

But there was another reason why he loved the ocean.

It was a place that screamed louder than his mind.

He fell to his knees when weakness overtook his body. When the weight of his transgressions became too much to bear. Too long he had run from his problems and his emotions, too long he had been a refugee from himself.

His bones cried out and his muscles ached with silent cries that wracked his body. Leaning forwards on his hands, he let his forehead rest on the ground. Dirt and mud caked his skin but that was the least of his worries.

He dug his fingers into the dirt beneath him, the rough rocks and pebbles tore at his hands and found their way under his fingernails. Tears streaked down his face in the same way blood streaked down his arms and wrists.

His body shook with despair and for a few moments, he didn't move. He couldn't. Not when he was in such a desperate moment.

Better off dead. Better off dead. A mantra seemed to chant over and over again.

And when he found the courage to lift his head from the ground, he did so slowly. He blinked away the tears that blurred his vision so that he could see the ocean below him vividly. The darkness of the ocean reflected the color of the sky. Dark. Depressing. Beautiful. Haunting. Enticing.

He could taste the saltiness of the stormy sea, he could hear their mighty power as they crashed against one another life a great storm. Such a sporadic, chaotic lover the sea was.

He couldn't wait to kiss it. To feel nothing under the waves as they carried him away.

His heartbeat seemed to drum slowly. Low and rhythmic.

Rhythmic like the waves lapping and colliding with the rocky shore. Beckoning him to the frigid depths of the sea. Calling to him, singing softly to him like an enchanting siren with evil intentions flashing behind her eyes.

It wouldn't be long before he would collide with the earth, hitting the bottom of his world before erupting into flames, reduced to nothing more than ashes. Gray ashes that would diminish into dust and be swept away in the wind.