Chapter 23: Brother

Hiyori was at the garden admiring the flowers and the small pond filled with koi fishes. She was still at the Zenin's family premises and was asked to step out of the meeting room for the two clan rulers to speak to each other.

After being introduced to the 15 year old Toji, she felt intimidated and she felt the need to distance herself as far as possible from him.

Surprisingly, while Hiyori was having her time strolling over the garden, Toji approached her.

Hiyori heard the stomping of feet on the ground which indicated that someone was behind her, and so she looked back.

Her emerald eyes was met with a pair of bright greens and she was shooked.

She bowed out of respect.

"Hello there Zenin-san"

"Don't call me that" he replied just as the words fell out of Hiyori's mouth.

"I-I'm sorry...what should I call you then?"

"Just call me Toji..or whatever....I don't really care as long as it's not my last name" he said now standing beside her at the small bridge atop the small pond.

He leaned his arms on the railing and put his face on his hands. Hiyori was puzzled because of how he was acting.

Toji was the son of the Zenin clan's leader, she did not expect him to be so..... nonchalant.

Then something came to mind.

"If you don't mind me asking Toji-san...."she paused and looked at his reaction for calling him in his first name.

"*sigh ..go ahead"

"Why did Zenin-sama say that you weren't gonna lead the clan? As far as I've seen, you're strong?" she asked purely out of curiosity.

Toji laughed at this point. This girl was just Seven years old and she was meddling with these kind of stuffs instead of just going out and play.She was just looking so innocent that even he was captivated.

"You know....you're just a kid so stop asking such question" he answered.

"But.." she inquired.

"I don't have a cursed energy" he cut her off.

With the words she heard, she widened her eyes and now that he mentioned it, she couldn't feel a single drop of cursed energy in him.

Toji looked at her and smiled because of her shocked reaction. She was indeed still a child.

"It's called a Heavenly Restriction. I don't have a cursed energy. I can't sense see curses.........But I'm super strong" he explained.

"Well...If you are strong...is it not enough for you to be the clan leader?" Hiyori asked once again as innocent as she is.

Toji only chuckled at this. She was indeed still just a child and has only experienced more than a normal kid does but less than what she is being expected to become.

"If I can't see curses, how can I beat them?" he asked.

"Oh...." the little girl seemed to realize.

It was funny how Toji was acting like normal around the girl. It felt like he needed to keep her innocence and not taint her with the pain of this world.