True Happiness

It was another night listening to her fiancé, Zara, rant about her friendship with Dinah. She knew that Normani and Dinah had been friends since the first grade and that the two were inseparable. Normani just couldn't understand why they had to go through this every time.

"You spend the night over there every Saturday. Why can't you stay with me?"

"I'm literally with you everyday and night. The only time I'm hanging with my best friend is at our sleepovers. What's the problem Z?"

Normani was tired of having the same conversation every time she left to hang out with Dinah. She knew Zara was intimidated by their friendship, but cutting her off was never going to happen. Normani couldn't imagine a life where she and Dinah weren't in each other's lives.

"The problem is I'm your fiancé and I would like to spend time with you on Saturdays. You're always running to her like she's your woman or something."

"I'm not doing this with you tonight, I'll be back in the morning."

Normani walks out of the house as the woman throws a temper tantrum. When she got to Dinah's house the blonde noticed her friend's upset demeanor.

"What's the matter?"

"Just the same old shit with Zara. I'm tired of always arguing with her. I don't know why she acts this way, it's truly exhausting. It's like she doesn't trust me or something, but I've never given her a reason not to."

"Hey, calm down Mani. Breathe."

"Sorry. It's just so frustrating to go through this every time."

"I know. It'll be okay. She just has to get used to us and our friendship."

"We've been together for three years, DJ. She's had more than enough time."

"I know Manz... just give her a little more."

"I don't know Dinah. I mean if she can't even trust me now how is it going to be when we're married? Maybe we're not ready yet. "

"She loves you and you love her, don't stress about it. Everything will work itself out, but maybe we should start having sleepovers every other week instead of every weekend."

"What? No. This is the only time we spend together."

"I know, but-"

"No Dinah Jane. That's not even an option, okay?"

"Okay Manz."

Dinah flashes a weak smile at her while nodding her head. Dinah has always been in love with Normani. There's not a memory she has that doesn't include the woman. Normani was her soulmate in every sense of the word. The woman completed her in ways she didn't even know were possible. She loved her so much, but she never could risk jeopardizing their friendship or Normani's relationship with her feelings.

After Normani had calmed down, they decided to have a movie night. They were watching some Kevin Hart movie and a funny scene was playing. As she turns her head to look at Dinah, her laugh gets stuck in her throat at the sight before her.

It was one of the rare occasions where the woman wasn't covering her laugh with her hand. Her eye dimples making an appearance, her wide smile on display as she throws her head back, and the most melodic sound leaving her mouth. She couldn't help the smile that overtook her face, only Dinah could cause her this calm feeling without even trying.

She could feel the tug Dinah always causes in her heart, but she just brushed it off as admiration for her best friend. She knew no one could take Dinah's place, not even her fiancé. Dinah was one of a kind and Normani loved that the woman was her own special person.