Catfished

It was another Saturday night and Normani was home alone bored. Her older brother, Keith, was away at college while her parents were having date night. Normani was more of a loner, she didn't really have friends unless you count the ones she talked to online.

She walks over to her computer, logging into her Anime fan page on Tumblr. As soon as the home screen pops up she starts scrolling her feed. It's about thirty minutes later when she notices she has a new message. She quickly clicks on it seeing that Dinah had messaged her back.

The two had never had a conversation before until Normani posted a picture of her and her brother. It caught Dinah's eye and the blonde had inboxed Normani slightly flirting, saying how much she liked the picture. Her and Dinah had been messaging each other for almost a year now, developing a cyber relationship.

There was just one problem... Dinah thought Keith was the one behind the screen, not Normani.

:I really want to see
your handsome face. 🥺

:I know baby, but
I won't be back until
Christmas break. ☹️

:Is your computer
camera still broken?
:We could at least Skype.

   :Yeah it's still broken.
:I'm sorry baby girl,
I really want to see
your beautiful smile.

:It's okay, I wish you had
an iPhone then we could
FaceTime.
:Maybe I'll see you
when you come home?

:I'll have to see.
:I gotta go baby, I have a
lot of work to get done.
:I love you. 🧡

:I love you too babe. 🤍

Normani logs off, releasing a breath. She didn't plan for this thing with Dinah to get this far. There were so many times where she wanted to tell her the truth, but she didn't think it would end well. She knew Dinah would hate her for lying about why they couldn't meet up.

Normani truly did love the girl and a part of her believes that Dinah's feelings are mutual. She knew everything about the girl and vice versa. Everything she told Dinah about herself was the truth, she just never corrected Dinah's assumptions about her appearance. And that's what really scared her.

Would Dinah accept her even though she's a girl.
              ————————————————
3 months later...

Normani was laying on her bed staring at the ceiling as music played in the background when Keith burst into her room. He was there for winter break and Normani had mixed feelings about him being home. On one hand she was happy to have her partner in crime back, but she also was sad because Dinah was blowing her up about meeting.

She looks over at the boy as he lays next to her, she rolls on her side facing him as a sigh leaves her lips. He ignores her constant sighing, but after listening to her for five solid minutes he finally speaks up.

"What's the matter bunny?"

"Well, you remember that girl I told you about?"

"The one you talk to online? Yeah, what happened?"

"Promise you won't freak out when I tell you. And let me tell the whole story before you say anything."

"What'd you do bunny?"

Her brother's stern voice makes her even more nervous.

"Promise bug."

"Alright.. I promise."