Chapter 1

Instagram

*Awsten Knight has started a live video*

Amelia is sitting at the desk that she had recently built in her living room, when she gets an Instagram notification

It had been 7 months since the last time that her and Awsten had spoke, and just has long since the last time that he had been on social media. Sometimes she wondered if his long absence was connected to their breakup, if you could even call it that. Or if was just over the garbage that he was subjected to on a daily basis. 

Seeing the notification that he had started a live video peaked her interest, although she wanted to act like she didn't care she wanted to know what he could possibly be doing.

He had been gone for so long, she never bothered to turn his post notifications off because she truly didn't think about it. She had been able to go through her days, without any real reminders of Awsten aside from finding a random sticky note he had left in her apartment or a shirt buried in the very bottom of her closet. 

 To her knowledge they had gotten back safely, it was weird considering the fact that they hadn't run into each other at all in the time that he had been back. But she could always hear faint music playing from the other side of the wall. 

Against her better judgement, she clicked on the notification. 

She was surprised to see how long Awsten's hair had gotten, still the bright green color that if you had asked her months prior what her favorite color was it would of been the answer. 

She was happy to see how healthy he looked, sitting there strumming his car playing songs that fans had requested in the chat below. 

Amelia propped her phone up against the water bottle on her desk, letting it the video play in the background while she worked when all of a sudden Awsten started playing something she didn't recognize. 

She laughed softly to herself, she wasn't entirely surprised that he was coming back to social media after a long hiatus just to leak a song but what shocked her was when he picked up a pair of scissors. 

Her jaw dropped when she watched Awsten start to cut off big chunks of his hair with a straight look on his face. 

"He sure knows how to make a comeback" she mumbles to herself, shaking her head. 

She knew that it shouldn't make her mad to see this happening because after all it was just hair, but in some weird twisted way it felt like the only thing that was left of the time that the two of them spent together. 

After giving him the terrible nickname green bean, and the green guitar that he continued to play for the entirety of the UK fandom tour it was weird to see him cutting these pieces off. 

Being the Waterparks fan that Amelia is, and always had been she wondered if this was his way of saying goodbye to the Fandom era and welcoming in the new era. 

She was so transfixed on what Awsten was doing that she almost forgot about the fact that there was a new song playing in the background and she listened closely to the lyrics. 

"I like cool shirts, I like cold rings, I want a big house, but I'm hiding. I think I'm halfway there, but my heart feels off so what's the point in being great, if I'm great alone?"

Amelia thinks back at all of the songs that she had heard him working on in the times that they spent together in his apartment, or the songs that she heard through the wall and she couldn't recognize this one which lead her to wonder exactly when it was written. 

"If you need me now I'll be there somehow. I'll pick you up, we can ride"

There was no denying the fact that the song was absolutely incredible, and Amelia knew that there was no use in wondering about what the song meant or who it was about because those were answers that she would never get. 

She sighed deeply, closing her laptop and leaning back in her chair. She very easily could go over to his apartment, check in to see how he was doing but she felt like it would go against so much of the healing that she had done over the last few months. 

She had gone back to therapy full time, making more progress working on herself and working through the traumas that she had faced in her last relationship. Finding healing that she truly never thought would be possible.

Amelia had people in her life now that she knew that she could count on, her and Daphne had stayed friends even after the breakup and introduced her to people that meant the entire world to her and she was in a really good place.

Surely seeing Awsten wouldn't affect that right?

She had been trapped in her own thoughts for so long, when she snapped out of it she realized that the livestream had ended. She heard movement from the other side of her wall, and took a deep breath. 

Standing up from the desk, and pushing her chair in slightly she walked to the door slipping shoes on. 

She stood at the door for a moment with her hand on the handle, debating whether this was a good idea of not before finally yanking it open and taking the short walk to apartment 103. 

Amelia raised her hand, knocking on the door a little more aggressively than she had meant to and a part of her hoped that he didn't answer the door. She thinks that would be the answer that she truly needed, and she would be able to put Awsten in the past for good where he belonged. 

Just as she was about to walk away, the door swings open and Amelia goes to speak but is quickly stopped in her tracks when someone who is not Awsten is standing in front of her. 

"Oh-I, I am so sorry. You are new here." she says quickly, and the man standing in front of her laughs. 

"Moved in a few months ago, is this how you introduce yourself to all of the neighbors? By aggressively knocking on their doors?" he asks playfully, and Amelia feels her heart rate pick up. 

To say that the man standing in front of her was attractive was an understatement, and now she was beating herself up for making such a fool out of herself. 

"How about we have a do over?" she asks in the same playful tone, with a smile on her face and he nods holding his hand out. 

"My name is Maxx, and I'm assuming you were looking for someone else?" he asks her and she laughs holding out her hand to shake it. 

"Amelia. Your assumption is correct, I am sorry for that." she says in a regretful tone and he shakes his head. 

"No worries, do you live next door?" he asks her curiously, cocking his head to the side in the direction of her apartment. 

"I do, if you hear someone talking to themselves it's totally not me." she tells Maxx with a smile on her face and he shoots her a look. 

"I don't think I believe you." he shoots back at her, and she narrows her eyes. 

"Are you always this difficult Maxx?" she asks him. 

Amelia could tell at this point that he was definitely flirting with her, and she didn't think that she minded. 

Maxx shrugs his shoulders, "That's for me to know and you to find out." he tells her matter of factly and she rolls her eyes. 

"And how would you like me to find out?" she asks him, one eyebrow raised. 

"Dinner tomorrow?" he inquires quickly, and Amelia smiles in response. 

"Dinner tomorrow, 7pm." she responds before turning around and making her way back down the hallway. 

And by the time she arrives at her door, she completely forgot why she even went to his door in the first place.