Chapter 10

Amelia was lost in thought, scribbling down in her planner for work waiting for Awsten to arrive. 

The cup of coffee that Chris had remade her was starting to get cold again but she was too focused to even think about picking it up, she picks her head up curiously when she hears the bell on the door jingle gasping when she gets a glimpse at Awsten. 

"Awsten what the fuck." she says in disbelief, her jaw hanging open and he laughs running a hand through his hair. 

"Yes Melis?" he says playing it off as if he didn't know why she was so shocked. 

"Your hair looks like a fucking Fruit Roll Up." she replies blankly, starring at him her eyes still wide. 

She still hadn't gotten used to the shorter length of Awstens hair, but to add to it he now had bright blue, yellow, and pink all throughout his head with hearts painted onto the side. 

"Okay first of all, Fruit Roll Ups are incredible so that's a fucking compliment. Second of all are you telling me you don't like my hair?" he asks teasingly, pulling out the chair to sit down across from her a smile on his face. 

Amelia shakes her head, holding back a smile. "I didn't say that."

"You implied it." he counter acts, and she rolls her eyes in response. 

"You tell your fans to call you handsome on the internet every day I think you will survive without my compliments." she says stubbornly, but Awsten can tell that she's joking. 

He pouts, giving her puppy dog acts "But your opinion matters most."

"New era?" she asks curiously, knowing that she wouldn't actually get an answer from him. 

Even though the two of them dated, he rarely talked to her about the new stuff coming for the band because of the fact that he liked to keep things exciting for her and she assumed that this was no different. 

"Yes, new era. New album soon." he replies and she looks at him shocked. 

"You never tell me things relating to the band." she shoots back and he laughs softly. 

"Hiding things from you never got me anywhere." he replies, and even though it was bare minimum it made her happy to hear him taking responsibility. 

Amelia presses her lips together, ignoring the butterflies coursing through her stomach in that moment, and is silently thankful when Chris brings over Awsten's coffee that she had ordered for him a few minutes before he had gotten there. 

Awsten looks up at Chris and back over at Amelia confused.

"Don't look at me, she's the one that ordered it for you before you got here. If you order is different just let me know though." Chris tells Awsten and he gives a small nod in response. 

"No this is great thank you." he tells him genuinely before directing his attention on to Amelia. 

"Thank you." he says holding his drink up slightly, and she nods. Her mind elsewhere again and Awsten immediately picks up on this, frowning. 

"Where's your head at right now? You seem like you're a million miles away." he asks her softly. 

They were the only two people in the coffee shop right now, and Chris had gone into the back room where his office is like he would do every time that Awsten and Amelia were there to give them privacy. 

Given the fact that it was a rainy day, and nearing closing time he really didn't expect many more customers to come through. 

"Is it that obvious?" she asks with a sad laugh and he shakes his head. 

"To someone who doesn't know you, no. But when you're overthinking or lost in thought you do this thing where you scratch at your collarbone absent mindedly." he tells her, pointing to the hand that was resting right below her neck. 

"Like that." he says with a small laugh, and her eyes widen looking down to where he was pointing, quickly pulling her hand away. 

She had never noticed prior that she did this, and she wonders how often it occurred for Awsten to notice immediately what she was doing. 

"My therapist told me yesterday that I should be angry with you." she tells him, getting directly to the point and he cocks his head to the side nodding. 

"You probably should, you have a good therapist." he says, easily agreeing with Amelia and Kate and she furrows her eyebrows. 

"Does having a good therapist make up for the fact that I can't talk about my own feelings even though I am one myself?" Amelia says bitterly under her breath and Awsten sighs. 

"Okay that wasn't fair of me." she backtracks. "I'm sorry."

He shakes his head in response, running a hand through his hair and leaning back in his chair. 

"It was a fair dig, I shouldn't of ever said that to you and I'll keep apologizing until you know that I am sorry for it." he tells her honestly. 

"We both said things that we shouldn't of said Awsten it wasn't just you." she assures him, and he shrugs. 

"I said a lot more than I should of when it was my idea to come over in the first place." he answers. 

"I want to be mad at you I think." Amelia tells him honestly, shocked with herself that she had gotten to this point of acceptance when she had thought that her therapist was insane for that suggestion. 

"Then be mad, you have every right to be angry with me for the way that I acted and lack of support I gave you. You can yell, ask questions that you want answers to, or just straight up ignore me until you are ready to be around me and talk. Whatever feelings or reactions you have here are valid and completely in your right." he replies tenderly, and Amelias expression falls into something that Awsten can't exactly pinpoint. 

"I never liked being mad at you." she mumbles under her breath, and he sighs leaning forward onto the table getting closer to her. 

"Can I be honest with you Melis?" he asks her softly, and she nods. 

"There are so many fucking times that you should of been angry with me, I made more mistakes when we were together than I will ever forgive myself for. But I think you should allow yourself to feel whatever you need to for everything that happened, processing feelings doesn't come with a time limit." he tells her and she furrows her eyebrows. 

"You've been seeing a therapist." she points out, completely ignoring everything that he just told her and she earns a genuine laugh from him. 

"Is it that fucking obvious? How do you know I'm not just a genius?" he retorts playfully, and she smirks. 

"You are a genius." she agrees easily, "But not when it comes to feelings, plus I'm pretty sure I've used that exact line with a client before."

He throws his hands up admitting defeat, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth when he sees Amelia looking back at him with the same look of adornment that she used to. 

"Okay so maybe I stole the line from my therapist." he admits, "But I stand by what I said."

"Your feelings are not going to scare me off, so feel how you want about it all. I'll still be here." he says, and for a minute Amelia wants to tell him just to put everything behind the both of them and start over.

But she knows that if she were to do that, they'd be doomed from the start again.