Chapter 3

Amelia walked out of her apartment locking it behind her, to see Maxx already standing in the hallway leaning against his door. 

"You waiting for someone?" she asked him playfully, and he rolls his eyes in response. 

She glances down at her watch while walking towards him, "I am 10 minutes early, so how long have you been standing here?" she questions, raising an eyebrow and Maxx clears his throat. 

"Walls are really thin huh?" he says coughing to hide his laugh, and she groans. 

"I can just go home." she deadpans him, fake coughing at the end of her sentence. 

"Oh look I'm sick, no date for you." Amelia tells him, her voice oozing with sarcasm, as she starts to walk away. 

Amelia hadn't noticed how tall Maxx was until he made his way over to her quickly, grabbing her hand softly. 

"I'm just messing around with you, come on Mel please?" he says softly, and she felt butterflies in her stomach. 

"That's a new nickname." she says thoughtfully, turning around to face him her hand still in his. 

She was surprised to find that she felt comfortable with him already, there was something about Maxx and the way that he joked around with her that made her feel like she could trust him. 

"Would you like me to call you something else instead?" he asks her in a comforting tone, and she shakes her head. She really didn't mind the fact that he had called her that, and most of her friends called her Melis so it was nice to have another nickname. 

"No it's nice, I like it." she reassures him with a nod, and he smiles at her. 

"So dinner now?" he asks, squeezing her hand slightly. 

"Do you want me to drive?" Amelia asks him as they start to make their way down the hallway, stopping to double check that Maxx's door is locked.

"Nope, I got it." he tells her, still holding tightly to her hand. 

...

The car ride was filled with small talk, the painful kind of get to know you conversation that normally would drive Amelia insane but she appreciated how intently Maxx listened to her and her stories.

When she realizes where Maxx picked for dinner, she lets out a laugh without even meaning to and he looks at her with an eyebrow raised. 

"What's so funny?" he questions, and Amelia lets out a small giggle. 

"I got my ass kicked here about 7 months ago, haven't been back since." she tells him with a shrug, opening up her door and getting out of the car. 

She figured that Maxx was following her but when she looked back he was just sitting in his spot, his mouth slightly open in shock. "You coming or are you just going to sit here all night?" she says as she opens the door back up. 

"You just told me that you got your ass beat here." he points out in disbelief. 

"Yeah and?" she asks quickly, and he laughs at how relaxed Amelia is at the entire situation. 

"How did you expect me to react?" he questions, throwing his hands up and she pauses for a minute. 

"I expected you to get out of the car, so we can eat." she says with a smile and he lets out a sigh, getting out of the car.