Chapter 6

Awsten and Amelia's clothes scattered the floor in the kitchen, both of them too breathless from what had just happened to even begin to think about what they had done. 

"Do you know where my shirt is?" Amelia asks Awsten casually and he furrows his eyebrows in confusion. 

"I uh- I think it's on the floor over there?" he suggests, pointing to the other side of the island and she nods as she pulls her pants back up walking over to grab it. 

Awsten stood there dumbfounded for a moment, this certainly wasn't the way that he thought showing up at her apartment would end. He had meant it when he told her that he missed her, and he desperately wanted to talk about it. 

"Melis can we talk?" he asks her quietly, as she throws his pants and shirt in his direction silently. 

"About what?" she replies, pulling the shirt over her head before freezing. 

"Oh wait you came to take this back hang on." she says, lifting it back over her head and walking into her bedroom to grab a new shirt. Awsten's sitting on the kitchen counter in a ball. 

"About what just happened?" he says incredulously, looking at her like she has 5 heads. 

"I don't think there's anything to talk about." she says waving him off, emerging from her bedroom and heading to the fridge to grab a drink. 

"Amelia-" he says grabbing her arm softly, "Please talk to me." he pleads with her, and when he looks in her eyes he feels like he almost doesn't recognize her for a moment. 

"I didn't mean any of the things that I said to you, I don't know why I even said them." he tells her, and she nods. 

"I know that. I told you that you were only saying those things because you were mad, I know you and know that you would never actually speak to me like that." she tells him honestly, and she is met with a blank expression on Awstens face. 

Amelia didn't mean to put a wall up this high around her and her emotions, in all reality he wasn't wrong when he had said that she wasn't good at talking about her feelings. She was pulling away from him again, father than she ever had to protect herself from the whirlwind she was feeling after the sex they had just had. 

"So can we talk?" he asks desperately, hoping that it would get somewhere but he knew in the back of his mind there was no getting through to her right now. 

"There's nothing to talk about, thank you for bringing me my sweater." she says with a simple shrug, refusing to make eye contact with him. 

"Melis. Please let me in, it doesn't have to be right now. It doesn't have to be a week from now, but please at some point. I don't even care if you yell at me, tell me you hate me, I meant it when I said I missed you." he tells her honestly, and he sees her shoulders soften a bit. 

"I can't handle you telling me that you miss me right now, okay? I'm just not ready to hear it." she says softly, and he nods as he finishes getting dressed. 

"Okay then I'll go, but you have my number. So just reach out when you're ready." he tells her in a comforting voice, Awsten heads over to the door and as soon as he gets a hand on the knob Amelia stops him. 

"Aws wait." she croaks out, her voice cracking. 

He turns around to face her, to see her eyes glossy with tears threatening to spill out at any moment. 

"Please don't go, I can't watch you walk out the door again." she tells him, tears spilling over her lashes which she quickly wiped away. 

"Just stay. I don't care what we talk about, please." she pleads with him, and he nods taking a step closer to her opening his arms waiting to see if she wanted a hug. 

His wonders were quickly diminished when she swiftly makes her way towards him, wrapping her arms so tightly around his torso the wind is knocked out of him. 

Awsten quickly wraps his arms around her holding Amelia tightly to him. 

"I didn't mean it when I told you I didn't miss you, I thought if I ignored it and you just left that I could pretend like I didn't see you again." she mumbles against his chest, and every feeling that he had been going through over the last 7 months about hurting her comes rushing back to him at an overwhelming pace. 

"I'm sorry I hurt you Melis, I was just trying to protect you." he says so softly, he's sure that she doesn't hear him. 

They stood there for a moment in the kitchen, and Awsten glances around her apartment that he loved so much and felt so comfortable in for so long. 

For the most part it's the same, her record player sitting proudly in the corner with her ever growing collection. The guitar hanging on the wall, with the keyboard sitting next to it. 

But what he notices now, is pictures lining the shelves of her living room. Filled with the faces of Jawn, Daphne, and Amelia, and some other people he didn't recognize but could only assume were her friends. 

His eyes land on a series of pictures that make his knees go weak, from where they were standing in the kitchen he could see her nightstand in her bedroom and sitting proudly was a frame holding 3 pictures of the two of them, one from the night of her fake birthday they two of them sitting next to each other smiling brightly, another of them curled up together on the couch that he knows that Jawn had taken. 

And in the last picture was the two of them hugging tightly, his lips pressed to her forehead on the day that he left for tour. 

He had never seen the picture before, which once again leads him to believe that it was a sneaky photo by no other than Jawn, but he can't help but wonder how long she had these pictures up and why they were still up to this day. 

He wants to ask her about them, but knows that now isn't the time or the place and instead decides to just stand there with Amelia wrapped up in his arms silently ignoring the mess they had just created.