5

A quiet sigh was heard from the savior of the wizarding world as he looked out his window. The whole neighborhood was asleep except him. Something kept him up and he couldn't go to his bed until he knew.

After yesterday's fiasco, Harry wished time would fly sooner. Even with the help of the potions and Recovery Girl, it could not maintain the new injuries. Luckily, his uncle was too tired in the morning to give him a "proper lesson", and he forgot all about the incident by breakfast. Besides, he couldn't injure the boy too much. There were weird people sneaking outside his house, and if they were to find out...

Harry looked out one more time at the starry night. The full moon had just passed, and he knew one of his friends (read: father figure) would be resting for the next few days. He closed his eyes and let the peaceful night work on his nerves.

Suddenly, he felt as though somebody was staring at him. He opened his eyes to find snowy white feathers and amber eyes staring at him.

"Hedwig!" he whispered in relief. He lightly took her in his arms, ignoring the pain his back felt. The owl hooted, nuzzling him affectionately. The raven gently rid her of her burden, and started rubbing her white coat.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I was worried when Dumbles asked for you."

The owl looked at him with an intense look in her eyes, as if saying he was a lunatic for thinking she didn't know better. Harry laughed softly, subsiding her glares a bit. Giving her a treat and setting up her water bowl, he glanced at the stack of letters she had picked up. Looking through them, he saw it was more than one person who wrote to him.

"...Hedwig, What did we say about attacking other owls and stealing their letters for me?"

Said bird turned the other way and continued eating as if she didn't hear him.

Harry just shook his head fondly and turned back to the letters. Some of them were from Ron, the twins and Ginny, one from Hermione, two from Neville (they had become better friends after last year), an anonymous letter with his name in fine script ('Prat,' Harry thought fondly), and a letter and a copy of the Quibbler from Luna. There was also a letter from Dumbledore (he set that aside for last), a small package that he instantly recognized who it was from, and one with the Hogwarts stamp on it. The last one intrigued him the most. He knew for a fact it wasn't time to give out the official letters for coming back to school yet, and he hadn't used his wand at all. Slowly, he opened it and read.

To Mr. Harry Potter,

Due to the recent circumstances, the school has decided to invite another prestigious academy to spend some time learning in our environment. You and 3 others have been chosen to accompany them. You will be their chaperones and help them with whatever they need. This letter will be activated as a portkey on August 1st at midnight. The students will be coming from Japan. Make sure to rest the day before. More details will be given later on.

Sincerely,

Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall

Harry read the letter again. And again. Finally he pinched himself to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. People were coming over to visit Hogwarts? From Japan?! At this time? What on bloody earth was Dumbledore thinking? They couldn't come at a time like this, especially with him around them. Looking for more answers, he picked up the not-really-anonymous package. Out fell a letter and a pouch.

Harry,

Allow me to explain what the Hogwarts letter means.