Chapter 20

Paxton

As I headed home after dropping Kayden off, I wondered what was up. On the way to his house, he seemed jumpy and on edge but he didn't say anything so I didn't push him.

He did, however, tell me a little about what happened during his talk with Kieran this morning. He was very vague, saying if Kieran wanted me to know, he would tell me. But Kayden did say he got Kieran to agree to talk to Caleb.

I was glad my boyfriend and my best friend were getting along so well.

When I got home, I immediately plopped down on the couch next to Caroline, who was watching some reality TV show.

"What's up, sis?" I asked.

"Nothing much," she said, then turned to me with a smirk. "How's the boyfriend?"

"Awesome." I replied.

"Ha. That's good." She answered.

"So how's the mate hunt going for you?" I asked. Immediately she blushed and looked away. "Ooh, you found him! Who is he?"

"Ryan," she mumbled.

"Ryan!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah,"

"Wow. Didn't expect that one. What have you told him? Are you dating? What has happened since your first date?" I fired off questions at her.

"Sheesh? Fangirling about my relationship much?" She joked. I rolled my eyes. "But I haven't told him anything. Yes. And we've been on five dates and on our last date he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes." She smiled.

I thought over her answers and then smiled. "Well, I'm happy for you. But if he hurts you, I will beat him an inch from death."

Caroline laughed. "Okay."

I looked back at the TV. "So what is this stupid show anyway?"

*******

The rest of my night was normal, family dinner, hanging out with Connor, texting Kieran and Kayden.

I was so excited when Kieran told me he asked Caleb out and he said yes. I know he was really worried about their relationship this morning.

At about 10 at night I was shutting my phone off to go to sleep when I heard a soft knock at my door.

I peered up to see a small, dark figure in my doorway.

"Connor? What's up?" I asked as Connor came closer and the moon lit up his facial features enough for me to see that he had teary eyes and a puppy dog expression on his face.

He signed sleep with his hands then pointed to me.

"Of course, bud. You can sleep here whenever you want." I said, holding up the covers for him to slide in. The second I put the blanket down he squirmed his way over to me and snuggled up against me, his head on my chest, his arm resting on my stomach.

"Good night, Connor. I love you." I whispered.

"I love you, too," he whispered back.

*******

Kayden has been acting on edge all day. He was glancing around and day dreaming a lot. I wanted to ask what was wrong but if he hasn't told me already, I'm guessing he doesn't want to talk about it.

By the time we got in the car to go home, though, I missed talking to him.

"Kayden," I said as I started driving. I squeezed his hand. He hummed but didn't look over. "Kayden" I said again and this time he looked at me.