Chapter 18

Kayden

I'm a naturally light sleeper so I wasn't surprised when I was awoken by the sound of cries around two in the morning. I looked to see Paxton fast asleep so I pulled myself from Paxton's hold, careful not to wake him and walked across the hall to Connor's room, where the sobs were coming from.

I pushed the door open to find Connor tossing and turning on his bed, crying hysterically. I hurried over to his bedside and shook him awake. He shot into a sitting position upon waking up. The second he saw me, he tackled me in a hug, sobbing into my shirt. I was so shocked by his actions that it took me a couple seconds to hug him back. I pulled Connor onto my lap and started softly singing a lullaby I didn't know I knew.

Within five minutes, Connor had ceased to cry, though he was still whimpering into my chest.

"Nightmares?" I asked. Connor looked up at me, his brown eyes teary, and nodded. "Wanna come and sleep with me and Paxton?" Again he nodded so I pulled him into a better position and stood up, carrying him back to Paxton's room and climbing into bed with him still in my arms.

I curled up next to Paxton, who had changed positions since I left. Paxton was now laying on his stomach. As if he sensed my return, he flung his arm over my waist in his sleep. Connor had cuddled up on my left side, facing me with his head on my shoulder. I smiled and pulled Connor into me more. I heard him sigh happily.

And as I fell back to sleep, I thought about how lucky I was to have these two boys next to me and fell into a deep sleep, feeling happier than I'd felt in a while.

*******

I woke up feeling intensely warm and comfortable. I tightened my arms around the warmth on my chest and snuggled into the warmth on the right of me. It wasn't until the thing on top of me shifted that I opened my eyes.

I looked down to see a head of blonde hair resting on my chest and smiled happily. Connor was using my chest as a pillow, his head and the whole of his torso on top of me. His right leg was to the left of my legs with his left in between mine.

Paxton, on the other hand, was laying to my right, on his back with his left arm underneath my head.

I sighed in content and snuggled deeper into the warmth Connor and Paxton gave me.

I took this time of silence to think. Yesterday, Paxton was telling me about mates, how they were the human equivalent of soul mates, made for each other. Did that mean we had to get married or something? Would that happen soon? As much as I thought that would scare me, it didn't. In fact, I could even see Paxton and I getting married. Maybe not now but after high school.

And if Paxton and I were to get married, would that make me a second father to Connor? Looking down at the little boy now, seeing his adorable little face, I knew I loved him. And the little thing in my head, my wolf as Paxton called it, felt possessive and protective over the young blonde. I wanted to be a father to him. I already love him like a son.

After a couple more moments of silence, Connor started shifting before looking up at me. I smiled at him and ruffled his hair. He smiled back sleepily and crawled up on me, snuggling his head on my shoulder and wrapping his arms around my torso.

"Did you sleep okay?" I whispered so as to not wake up Paxton. I felt Connor nod into my neck. "Can you tell me about your nightmare?" I asked gently.

He froze but ended up nodding, sliding off of the bed and leaving the room. He came back soon after, holding a small whiteboard and marker.

I sat up in the bed, careful not to hurt Paxton as I lifted Connor into my lap. He quickly scribbled words down onto it before handing it to me and snuggling into my side. I looked at it and saw it read: the rogues that killed my parents came after you and Paxton. They want to kill you.

"Oh, Connor," I looked down at him and squeezed him tightly in my arms. "We're okay. We're all gonna be okay." He hugged me and nodded into my chest. I kissed the top of his head and sat there with him until he started writing again.

For the next hour, we just talked, Connor writing and me speaking. We didn't talk about anything important, just light topics.

At about 8:30, I told Connor that he could wake up Paxton. A mischievous smile slid onto his face as he jumped off of the bed. I watched intently as he slunk around the bottom of the bed quietly before crawling up on Paxton's right side. As soon as he stood up, I knew what he was doing. I clamped a hand over my mouth to conceal the giggles trying to escape. Then, Connor jumped on him.

Paxton let out a sound as if he were punched in the gut and his eyes fluttered open. Connor giggled wildly, contagiously, which caused me to burst into laughter as well.

"Connor..." Paxton said in a parent-like tone. "I'm gonna get you!"

Connor squealed as he realized what he was in for and tried to escape Paxton's wrath but Paxton was too quick. He grabbed Connor by the waist and threw him down on the bed underneath him, intensely tickling him.

"Alright, alright. I think he's had enough, Pax." I laughed after a little while.

"Okay, I'll free you today, boy. But know this!" Paxton said to Connor in a mock serious tone. "Next time, there will be no mercy for the tickle torture!"

Connor giggled lightly as Paxton slid out of bed and put on a shirt.

"I'm going to go downstairs now and see what's up for breakfast. You guys can come down when you're ready." He said, placing chanted kiss on my lips before walking out the door.

My lips tingled from his feather like touch and my wolf was yearning for more. I had to take a deep breath to keep my wolf from coming out and chasing after Paxton.

I was broken out of my thoughts when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Connor holding up the whiteboard. It read: you're talking again does that mean I have to talk again?

I was surprised at the question but answered it nonetheless. "What? No. You can talk whenever you're ready. It took me seven years to be ready to talk. Paxton will love you whether you talk or not." I replied, wrapping my arm around him.

He nodded and scribbled something else down. I read the sentence as he held the board up again. Do you love me? He looked up at me so innocently that I felt my heart clench.

"Yeah." I said, my throat tight. "I love you, buddy." He smiled and hugged me around my neck as my eyes geared up.

"I love you, too" he whispered and the tears fell.