Chapter 1

Kayden's POV

As I came to conciousness, I heard my alarm playing Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. I grabbed my phone off my night stand and turned off my alarm.

I silently got up, grabbed my clothes for the day and made my way into the bathroom to do my morning routine.

When I was fully dressed and ready to go, I made my way downstairs.

Adilene was already in the kitchen making breakfast when I got there.

"Good morning, Kayden," Adilene said as I sat down at the counter. "How's eggs sound fo breakfast today?"

I smiled slightly at her and nodded. Adilene was my adopted mother, she was really nice and I'm very thankful to her for taking me in, especially since broken thirteen-year-olds in the system don't get adopted much but I couldn't bring myself to call her my mother. She has a husband named Gavin who was also really great but I felt like I was a burden to them. I mean, who really wants a broken, mute teenager as their son?

Addy set down a plate with eggs and toast in front of me before making her own plate and sitting down beside me.

"So how's school?" she asked. 

I just shrugged, attempting to look passive when truthfully, I hated school. I was bullied from time to time and was known as the "mute faggot", meaning my friends were nonexistent.

And yes, you heard that correctly. I, Kayden Adam Mitchell, am gay.

Everyday at school I am called mute, fag, fairy, and a bunch of other terrible names. I'm also beat up every once in a while by the basketball and swimming teams and I can't fight back because of my lack of muscle.

I can't complain though. Even though my current life sucks, it's still better than it was, back when I lived with- never mind.

"You better hurry up, hon. I don't want you to be late." Adilene stated.

I nodded at her, grabbing my plate and putting it in the sink before walking out the door.

I only lived ten minutes from the school so I walked everyday but I didn't mind. I liked walking. Something about the sun on my face and the wind in my hair felt amazing.

Sadly, though, my walk was over and I arrived at Hell, I mean school.

The second I walked through the front door I heard the shouts of "fag," and "mute," echoing around the hallway.

I swiftly walked to my locker, trying to avoid a run-in with Joey Ridley and the rest of his idiotic basketball buddies. Unfortunately, I heard an annoying chortle behind me. (A/N: for those of you who don't know, a chortle, according to my eighth grade science teacher, is a fat man's laugh.) I knew who it was immediately.

"Well, well, well, who do we have here? Mr. Like-It-Up-The-Ass?" Joey yelled, shoving me against the lockers, which caused his cronies to cackle.

I just kept my gaze to the ground, not responding to his taunting.

"What? Aren't you going to say anything? Or are you too scared, mute?" His buddies laughed again.

"Hey!" he yelled, starting to get angry. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, you worthless piece of shit!"

When I still refused to respond, he grabbed my arm, twisting it to a painful angle.

I gasped, tears coming to my eyes but still didn't look up. "Oh, you are going to pay-!"

"Hey! Mr. Ridley, get your hands off of Mr. Mitchell!" I heard my favorite teacaher, Mr. Ceffa yell. "Alright, move along boys, before I report all of you!"

Joey and his cronies stalked off, Joey seething.

Mr. Ceffa was my favorite teacher. His first name was Kyle and he was the closest thing to a friend I had. He was the only one, besides Addy and Gavin, who knows sign language and he's also gay. He's only about 24 and he's really attractive.

"You okay, Kayden?" he signed.

"I'm fine. I'm just going to go to class." I signed back.

He nodded and then walked back into his classroom.

I then quickly before heading to European History, which passed by in a flash.

I was walking to Sketching and Painting after Euro when someone banged into me, sending tingles up and down my spine. Before I could fall on my butt, the strong arms of the person who hit me wrapped around my waist sending more tingles throughout my body. When I looked up, I looked into the light green eyes of the bot who would change my life.