Chapter 28

Paxton

I glanced over at Kayden's sleeping form and smiled lightly. He looked so peaceful when he slept.

I turned back to the road and let my mind wander.

Yesterday morning, waking up next to Kayden in that hotel room, I had never felt more peaceful and content. Completing the mating with him made me finally feel complete. Our souls were finally bonded and it felt better than words could express. And honestly, before Kayden, I never thought I'd let myself become that vulnerable with another person, but with Kayden it just came naturally. With anyone else, my wolf would have gone crazy at the disrespect of an alpha but this was Kayden, and for some reason, my wolf was submissive to Kayden's.

But now it was my turn to be the dominant. It was my turn to be there for Kayden when he was vulnerable.

Ever since Kayden found out about his biological parents, he's wanted to go see them, wanted to meet them, but he's been too nervous to do so. After multiple conversations about why he was nervous, even I couldn't convince him that his bio parents wouldn't be disappointed in him, that he was a child to be proud of.

So now we were going on a "surprise road trip" to the Moonshine Pack. I was bringing Kayden to meet his parents. And I know he was probably going to be angry with me for going behind his back but he needed to do this. He would never be truly happy if he didn't.

So as I pulled up to the Moonshine packhouse, I steeled myself for the anger I knew Kayden was going to have towards me.

"Kayden," I shook him to wake him up. "Kayden, we are here,"

He slowly came to and looked out the windshield.

"Where are we?" He asks groggily, sitting up.

"We're, uh, at the Moonshine packhouse. You know, uh, the one run by your parents." I responded, not making eye contact.

"What?" He says loudly, all remnants of sleep gone from his voice. "Paxton, I'm not ready for this! How could you do this to me?" He said, a frantic tone coming into his voice.

"Because you need to do this, Kayden. You've been tearing yourself apart about this for weeks and I hate seeing you so self-conscious. I want you to be happy." I pleaded with him.

He buried his face in his hands, taking shaky breaths. "I'm scared," he murmured quietly.

"I know," I said back. "But I'm here with you. I promise I'll be by your side the entire time."

"Okay," he said after a couple moments of silence.

"Okay?"

"Let's go." Kayden said, making his way out of the car.

I nodded, getting out of the car and moving around it to meet Kayden. He looked up at me as I grabbed his hand and led him to the front door of the large mansion of a packhouse. When I knocked on the door, Kayden's grip on my hand tightened.

The door swung open and my eyes met with a pair of bright green ones. Standing in front of us was a blonde woman who seemed to be in her mid thirties. She was pretty with small feminine features.

"Hello, how can I help you?" She asked.

"Hello. We are looking for the Alpha and Luna." I responded.

"Yes, I am Luna Lacie Michaels." She said, looking between the two of us.

"I looked at Kayden to see him teary eyes and opening and closing his mouth, trying to get words out but failing.

I turned back to Luna Michaels, seeing a confused expression on her face. "I'm Paxton Knight, son of Alpha Kyle Knight of the Ravenwood pack. This is my mate, Kayden." I said.

"K-Kayden?" She asked, her voice strained.

"H-Hi, mom." He said quietly.

"Oh, my baby." She cried, flinging herself at Kayden and wrapping him in a hug. I let go of his hand and immediately he wrapped his arms around his mother. "God, you're so big! I can't believe I'm getting to see you again."

Kayden didn't say anything but I could tell he was happy to be in his mother's arms. After a couple minutes, Lacie pulled away and gave us a watery smile.

"Let's head inside, boys. I want to properly meet my son and his mate." She said, grabbing one of each of our hands and leading us inside.

*******

We had been making small talk with Kayden's mom for about 10 minutes before a little blonde girl that was around Connor's age ran in and launched herself into Lacie's lap.

"Hey, Bai." Lacie said, wrapping her arms around the little girl.

"Hi, mommy."

I froze. They have a daughter? How would Kayden take this?

I turned to see him looking on the scene with a surprised but otherwise blank expression on his face.

After a couple seconds of silence, Kayden speaks. "You have a daughter?" His tone of voice gave me no hints as to what he was feeling so I interlaced our fingers just in case.

"Yes," Lacie says gently, looking from Kayden to the girl. "Kayden, this is Bailee. She's seven. Bailee, this is your big brother."

Bailee looked up at Lacie excitedly. "You mean my big brother came back?"

"Yeah, hun. He's right there." Lacie said, pointing to Kayden.

"Big brother!" Bailee yelled and hopped off Lacie's lap before running and jumping onto Kayden. At first, Kayden didn't react but eventually he wrapped his arms around her. "Mommy told me about you! She said I had a big brother but he had to go away and we didn't know when you were gonna come back. I always wanted to meet to because I always wanted a big brother."

"Well that's good because I always wanted a little sister." Kayden said with a genuine smile on his face.

"Hey, Lace!" A deep voice sounded from down the hall. Loud footsteps were heard echoing towards us. A couple seconds later, a large man walked in and I was taken aback. He looked like an exact replica of Kayden, if Kayden was 20 years older. Hie features were also a little more rugged and chiseled than Kayden's but other than that there was no difference.

"Who are they?" Alpha Michaels asked in a careful tone.

Kayden lifted Bailee off of him and placed her on her feet before standing up silently.

"Honey, this is Kayden." Lacie said gently.

He furrowed his brows in confusion then turned towards Kayden. His confusion quickly turned to shock as he studied Kayden. His mouth opened and closed, trying and failing to make out words. His eyes watered. "Kayden?"

Kayden nodded.

His father took three large steps before sweeping Kayden into his arms and hugging him tightly, burying his face in Kayden's hair. His father was about a head taller that Kayden making it easy for Kayden to bury his face in his father's chest.

"You came back to us. I can't believe... I've missed you so much..." He said quietly, his voice muffled by Kayden's hair.

As I sat and watched as Kayden and his father hugged, all I could think about was how happy I was for Kayden. Before he found out about his parents, he would talk to me about how he wished he remembered his other parents, or knew why they left him on that doorstep years ago. He would wonder if they hated him and just got rid of him or if they did it for his own good. He would wonder whether or not they would be proud of the man he's becoming. And I'm glad that he's finally getting the answers to his questions and the love that he deserves.

"Well," Alpha Michaels said, letting go of Kayden. "Why don't we talk? All of us."