Chapter 8

Paxton

I honestly didn't mean to snoop on Connor and Kayden's texts. Really, I didn't. But when I saw that they were talking about me, purely by accident, I couldn't resist. To tell you the truth, though, I'm glad I read it, otherwise I wouldn't know that Kayden actually has a crush on me!

As soon as I read the messages I rushed over to Kieran's house to tell him about my newly inquired information. By now, we were so close that I didn't even need to knock on their front door. I just rushed in and went straight to Kieran's room.

"Oh my god! Kieran. Guess what?" I yelled as I barged into his room.

"Thanks for knocking, asswipe." He said, putting his phone down on the bedside table.

"Read this! It's a conversation between Kayden and Connor." I said, shoving my phone at him.

After reading it he looked up at me brightly. "That's great! Are you going to ask him out?"

"Yeah. I think so. But before I do, I want to tell my parents. I don't wanna have to lie about my relationship with him. He deserves better than that."

"Wow. You're already that serious about this?" He asked.

"Of course. He's my mate, Kieran. I don't know much about him but I already feel so connected to him. I feel like I can trust him with anything." I said wistfully.

"Meaning you can trust him not to leave after you tell him what you are?"

"In time, yes. I believe he will accept me for who I am."

Kieran nodded. "Do you want me to go with you to tell your parents? I suggest you do it sooner rather than later that way you can get together with Kayden sooner."

"Yeah. You know, I should go do it now. Before I lose adrenaline."

"Alright, let's go." Kieran gets off the bed and leads the way out of his room and through his house. "Oh, and by the way, I think you missed the part of the text where Connor calls you dad."

"What?" I asked, snatching the phone from him. I quickly read through the messages. The line "Do you like my dad?" had me frozen. He called me dad. He called me dad!

"Congrats, man," Kieran said, giving me a slap on the back.

I grinned, a newfound confidence shooting through me. My son called me dad! I felt invincible.

I marched straight up to my house, Kieran in tow, and immediately went to the kitchen where I knew my mom would be finishing up dinner, while ordering my dad to set the table.

"Mom, Dad," I said as I entered the room. "I have something to tell you."

Both of them put down whatever was in their hands and turned to me.

"I found my mate."

My mother gasped, smiling widely. "Oh my gosh, Paxton, I'm so happy for you!" She squealed, running over and crushing me in a hug. "What's her name?" She said after pulling away.

"Uh, his name is Kayden." I responded, not looking into her eyes.

"Oh, well, I'd love to meet him. Is he cute?" She asked.

"I looked at her, shocked. After a couple seconds, I answered. "Yeah. He's, uh, he's beautiful." I said honestly. "But you aren't mad? Do things like this even happen?"

"It doesn't happen very often, it's very rare. But it does happen and, though I know the goddess chose this boy for you and I agree, some people won't. Many packs have laws against homosexuality. Ours doesn't but we haven't experienced it before." My father replied.

"So you guys accept me?" I asked.

"Yes, dear," my mother replied. My father nodded.

"Thank you!" I said, pulling both of them into a hug. I noticed Kieran had left but I didn't mind. I know he was giving us time.

"So when do I get to meet this Kayden?" My mother asked.

"I don't know. I need to ask him out first." I blushed slightly, thinking about him.

"Ooh! How are you going to do it? When are you going to do it? I need details, baby!" She yelled.

I laughed blushingly. I have never been this flustered before. Kayden, what are you doing to me? "I'm, uh, going to ask him out tomorrow. Im thinking of bringing him to this really pretty place I found in the woods so we can be alone."

"Aw! That's so cute." She smiled then sniffed the air. "Oh my gosh! The food!" She scrambled to the oven, pulling out a large chicken. "Can you go get Connor down here for dinner?" She said to me over her shoulder. I nodded and turned out of the kitchen.

"Connor?" I said, knocking while pushing it open. The blonde boy was lying curled up in a ball on his bed, shaking.

"Hey, bud." I said, walking over and sitting on his bed next to him and rubbing his back. He picked up his head and his expression broke my heart. His face was red, blotchy, and tearstained. His bottom lip was quivering as if he was trying to hold in a sob his eyes were red and full of tears.

"Come here," I say, holding my arms out to him. He crawled into my arms and curled up in my lap. I stroked his hair comfortingly. "What's wrong, bud?"

I expected him to gesture an answer, maybe trace a word onto my arm but I tried to hide my surprise as he spoke.

"Do you love me?" He asked quietly.

I looked down at him catching his eye. "I know I haven't known you very long but I do consider you my son. So yes, I love you, Connor."

"Do you love Kayden? Your mate?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied honestly. "I do,"

"Are you going to leave me for him?" He asked shakily, his lip quivering more.

"Of course not!" I hugged Connor close to my body. "I would never leave either of you. I meant it when I said I would never leave you. I love you, Connor." I kissed Connor's hair and held him until he calmed down.

"I love you, too, dad," Connor whispered into my chest, not letting me go.

I think my heart just exploded.