Chapter 25

Kayden

The howl immediately set me on edge. I knew it was Paxton but I didn't know why he did it, at least until I felt like I was being suffocated and my body was burning. When I finally caught my breath, I shifted and yelled, "Paxton!"

I sprinted into the woods blindly, letting my instincts guide me to my mate until I came to a stop. Laying against a tree was a mutilated wolf that I knew had to be Paxton. A loud sob escapes my lips and I fling myself to him, wrapping my arms around him and burying my face in his fur. He laid unmoving underneath me, not even moving to breathe, and that made me sob even harder.

"Pax-ton, y-you need to wa-ake up," I managed through my sobs. "Y-You need to be here. Kieran needs guy. Connor needs you... I-I need you." I whimpered, gripping his fur tightly. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Paxton. Because of you, I feel normal again. You helped me see that I can be loved and love in return. You helped me realize that my scars don't make me undesirable. You accepted me for me, scars and nightmares and all. And I'm in love with you for that. Paxton, I'm in love with you!" I whispered brokenly.

And suddenly, I felt this surge of power flow through me and with that power came fiery, unadulterated rage.

I slowly stood up, feeling my wolf clawing and shoving it's way out and pushing through the bond. When I finally stood up straight my wolf had already taken over, my senses heighten and I look menacingly at Kane before my vision goes red.

*******

I wake up laying in a chair with Connor draped over me, sleeping. I'm next to a hospital bed with Paxton laying in it. He's hooked up to all different kinds of machines, heart monitors, IVs. My hand is gripping his limp one.

I try to remember what happened after I gave my wolf control but I can't remember a thing.

I hear a door open behind me and turn my head to see a man walking in with his lab coat on.

"Kayden, hi. I'm here to do a check up, okay?" He says nervously with his hands up in surrender.

I furrow my brows. "What happened?" I asked.

He dropped his hands and gave me a confused look. "You don't know?"

"I don't remember any bring after letting my wolf take over." I responded.

"Oh," the doctor said. "Well, you enacted the magic your wolf had locked within him. Anyone with impure intentions was weakened the rest were strengthened. Then, your wolf took over and you killed Kane. Your power revived Paxton enough to get him here so we could stabilize him. You and Connor haven't moved from his side since. As for the amnesia, I'd say that's your wolf keeping the memory of Kane's death from you to protect you. It wasn't exactly pretty."

I nodded, taking in all of the new information. Only one thing stuck with me, though. I turned to look at Paxton and my eyes filled with tears. I squeezed his hand. "You did it, baby. You made it. I love you. I love you so much, Paxton." I whispered.

The doctor fumbled around, giving Paxton a check up as I sent a prayer to whoever it was up there, thanking them for not taking away my love.

A couple minutes after the doctor left saying Paxton was recovering well and would wake up from his medically induced coma in about 2 days, Connor started to shift, coming to consciousness.

"Hey, bud," I whispered, making him look up at me drowsily. "How are you?"

He smiled slightly then looked down. "Is daddy gonna be okay?" He whispered.

I hugged him tighter to me as he tucked his head into my chest. "Yes, Con, he just needs lots of sleep. He's gonna nap for a couple days and then be good as new."