Chapter 26

Paxton

The sound of beeping pulled me from consciousness. I tried to move my hands, open my eyes, but I couldn't. I couldn't move anything.

My heart started beating really fast and my breathing picked up. The beeping picked up its pace.

"Daddy?" I heard a quiet voice say. Something small grabbed my hand. "It's okay, daddy. You're safe."

Connor's voice registered in my head and immediately, I calmed down. I focused on my hand, which I'm guessing is now being held by Connor's. I placed all my focus on his hand, trying my hardest to grip it. As I focused, Connor talked to me, his voice soothing my nerves as I concentrated.

After what seemed like hours, my fingers closed around Connor's hand loosely.

"Good job, daddy. Now you just gotta open your eyes. Come on, you can do it." Connor encouraged.

I put all of my power into opening my eyes, desperately wanting to see my son.

My eyes fluttered open lazily and I glanced to my right, seeing my son sitting there smiling at me.

"Hi, daddy." He said.

My mouth fell open as I tried to talk, but I couldn't. I was now able to move slightly easier but I had little control.

"It's okay, daddy. Doctor Jay told me all about how you are sick. He said you would be weak but you would heal quickly because we have fast healing." He said.

I wanted to respond. I wanted to talk to my son, but I couldn't find a way to do so.

"Oh! I have to go get Doctor Jay! He told me to tell him when you wake up. I'll be right back, daddy!" He said before kissing my arm and sprinting from the room.

His absence gave me time to think. What happened? What did I do to end up in a hospital bed with a breathing mask and a heart monitor? I remember the fight with Kane. I remember being unable to breathe and blacking out. But what happened after that?

Quick, heavy footsteps could be heard coming down the hallway. I was able to just barely turn my head enough to see Kayden bound I tot he room and my heart started pounding the moment I laid eyes on him.

He ran straight at me and launched himself on top of me. I held in my pained groan as he hugged me and kissed me all over my face. I was able to slowly lift my arms just enough to flop them down around his torso.

"Don't scare me like that again." He scolded. "You were dead, Paxton. I felt it."

"I... died?" I managed to whisper weakly.

"Yeah. You weren't breathing, I couldn't hear your heartbeat and our connection was just gone. I don't even remember exactly what happened after that. The next thing I remember, I woke up in here with Connor and you were asleep."

"Sor-ry," I breathed.

"Just,... Don't you ever leave me." He said, burying his face in my neck.

"Never. I... love- you."

"I love you, too, Paxton."

*******

That evening I was released from the infirmary.

Throughout the day my strength came back to me little by little. I was still weak so I was forced to use a wheelchair but I was happy to be out of that stuffy room.

Kayden was currently pushing me back to my house from the pack infirmary with Connor walking beside us. It was peaceful and honestly, I loved it. I had my family with me and we were all safe and healthy. I couldn't ask for anything more.

As Kayden opened the door to my house, delicious smells assaulted my nose and I couldn't help but let out a groan.

Kayden laughed and Connor giggled. "We made dinner, daddy. Your favorite, homemade Mac and cheese and chicken. And for dessert we made a chocolate cake. We also got you a present. I'll go get it!"

Kayden laughed and I looked back at him. "You did all that for me?" I asked, my voice breaking.

Kayden smiled. "Yeah. We needed something to do and we wanted to show you that we love you and that we are proud of you."

My heart soared at Kayden's words. No matter how many times he said he loved me, I would always feel as if I was the luckiest guy in the world to be loved by someone so beautiful and amazing and pure. It also felt great to hear he was proud of me. Out of all things that he could say to me, I think those are the most powerful, after a confession of love. All anyone wants to do is make their loved ones proud of them. Therefore, hearing Kayden say those things made a wave of overwhelming happiness crash down on me.

"Thank you," I managed to choke out, trying to keep my emotions under control.

"You're welcome, babe." He said, leaning down to wrap his arms around my neck. I laced my arms around his waist and buried my face in his shoulder, taking deep breaths to calm myself down.

"Daddy! I got it!" Connor yelled, racing into the room with a box in his hands. Kayden and I separated and Connor placed the box in my lap.

I took off the top to reveal three smaller jewelry boxes, all exactly the same. I pulled out the one all the way to the left and flipped it open. Inside was a silver chain with a charm with the word "Family" in silver. To the right of it there were three small circular charms, each one with our first initial on it.

"We got one for each of us." Kayden said quietly.

"Yeah. So we always know that we have each other." Connor said.

I pulled the necklace out of the box shakily and looked at it. I bit my lip, trying to keep my emotions in but I was so overwhelmed with happiness and love that I just couldn't do it.

A sob escaped my mouth as tears welled in my eyes. I stared down at the necklace, covering my mouth with my hand before looking up at my beautiful family.

"C-Come here," I said shakily, lifting my arms. Both of them came forward and I wrapped my arms around them both. "Thank you, guys. I love you so much." I took deep, shuddering breaths, not wanting to look weak in front of them.

When we pulled apart, I held my necklace up to Kayden. "Can you put it on me?" I asked. Kayden nodded and went behind me to fasten it around my neck. I smiled and looked down at it, grazing my fingers over the word "Family".

"Do you want dinner, daddy?" Connor asked.

"Sure, bud." I answered, smiling at him. He smiled back and grabbed my hand in his small one as Kayden pushed my wheelchair into the kitchen.